Wedding Gift - Is this too tacky?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Matt^Brown, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Matt^Brown

Matt^Brown Supporting Actor

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...ath=Laura+Corn

This would be for my old highschool buddy and his soon to be new wife. They have been together for 5 years now and are getting married. Her grandma left her a house which they live in and they both have decent jobs. I know they did not register anywhere and when I asked his family about gifts they didn't provide any help. That being the case I planned on getting him a nice picture frame engraved with their names and the location of their honeymoon. I figure they will get plenty of frames for their wedding pictures. I also wanted to get him the 101 Nights of Great Sex book. I have been married now for 8 years a long with several other guys that we went to school with us. This book has kind of become the inside joke that all of us married couples laugh about because we all have it. The problem is I am pretty sure that he does not know that we all have it so to him there is no inside joke. I really believe that this is a great book for any couple. I have recomended it to many people and have always received positive feedback from them. The question is it to tacky to give as a wedding gift or is it ok.

2. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Tacky? Tough call - it all depends on the person you are giving the gift to...

If you are worried, why not give a B&N Gift Certificate and print out the page as a recommendation on how to spend the money? This way, if they think the book is 'tacky' or 'tasteless', they aren't stuck with the book and can get something else.

p.s. This way, if (for some strange reason) they really get upset about it, you can easily pass it off as a joke.

3. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

Hmmm, its either that or a typical wedding gift like a china set they will never use, collect dust, and take up space. Pull the trigger. Just tell them to make sure to open it in private if it's going to be a problem.

4. Matt^Brown

Matt^Brown Supporting Actor

That is kind of my thought Hunter. We have always been a wild group of guys. Drinking, partying, skinning dipping with all of our girls. We have never did anything thing that has ever crossed the line just good clean fun. I really don't think this gift is a big deal except that it is a wedding gift. I really think that it is a good idea except I am afraid that for the next 5 years his family is going to be whispering "That is the guy that gave them the book for a wedding gift".

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

When in doubt - don't do it. But it could be fun.

Newlyweds always need cash.

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Money is always in good taste.

7. Dennis*G

Dennis*G Supporting Actor

I'd give the picture frame for the actual wedding, then maybe a few days later give the book..

8. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

I don't know about that. The picture frame is pretty much useless during the honeymoon and if his marriage is like 99.9% of marriages, the book is pretty much useless after the honeymoon. [​IMG]

9. Robbie R

Robbie R Stunt Coordinator

I think its a great gift, but not as a wedding present.

How about giving it to him at his Stag Party (assuming there is going to be one)

10. PhillJones

PhillJones Second Unit

You could get a different book if you're worried about the inside joke part.

'The guide to getting it on' is highly recomended by a freind of mine with a PsyD in human sexuality.

11. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

I agree with Robbie R,

Give it to him at his stag party, then a "less risky" present for his wedding.

12. Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds Screenwriter

Aaron Reynolds

Wha? Dude, we use our china all the time -- we picked a pattern that we really love, so any old excuse to trot it out...

Did you let someone talk you into a godawful floral pattern or something?