Websites that do not allow you to register with disposable E-mail accounts?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Eric Peterson, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

Why is this such a big deal on some websites. I have run into three times now recently and it angers me a great deal. I have only used disposable E-mail accounts for the better part of 8 years now because I got extremely tired of having to change my E-mail everytime I moved or changed Internet providers. It works great for me, and I have made well in excess of 1000 transactions through Ebay, Amazon, and countless other online stores, yet there are still websites that will not allow me to sign-up with my current E-mail address just because it is from Yahoo.

This seems like a really lazy web administration to me, and a bogus way of keeping the wrong people out. The same as having a dress code at a bar. Both are a cheap way of trying to keep the riff-raff out and neither work.

Recently, I have run into two online forums that I very much would like to participate in, but I cannot because of my E-mail address. "The Big Cartoon Database" and "The DVD Forums" both have this policy in effect.

I also had this with some shareware software last year that I was going to pay for, but they would not let me give them my money because of my E-mail address, so I said "Screw Off" and kept using the software for free.

I do not even know what my E-mail address is from my current Internet supplier "Comcast", and I never used the one from my previous two services either. I might be able to dig the address up and use it, but what good is it for me to register under an E-mail that I will never check?

I wonder if I can register under that E-mail and then go in and change it later, or if it the system will not allow that.

I guess I just had to vent and see if anybody else has the same problem.

2. Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson Supporting Actor

Your email address should be [email protected]. Or, @comcast.com (I'm not sure which one applies). If you don't know your user name (how could you have an account and NOT know that?), then I don't know what to tell you.

Yahoo! can be very easily configured to allow you to access POP mail from your service provider mail account -- check your Options in Yahoo. That way, you can provide the needed address (the comcast address), any any mail sent to that address would go to your Yahoo!

Alternately, most providers offer the option of having e-mail automatically forwarded to another account. Again, though, if you don't know your comcast user name, or you don't know how to even access any of the basic features of your comcast account, I don't know what else to suggest.

With very little effort, there should be a variety of easy work-arounds to your problem, if you know (or can find) some very basic info about your comcast account.

3. Chris Dias

Chris Dias Stunt Coordinator

Chris

I really don't have anything to add to the original question, but I just wanted to say that I think it is very easy to not know your user name. I guess it all depends on your provider, or what you need to do to sign in, but I've had cable internet service for years now at different houses, and I have no idea what my user name is, I've never needed it. The internet is always on, I don't have to sign in to anything, and I don't use the email address given to me by my provider.

Chris

4. Eric Peterson

For the same reasons that Chris already stated. I have no use for the E-mail account that they gave me and the Internet is always on. I even just re-formatted the computer and I didn't need to do anything for the internet to be working.

Your solution about forwarding is certainly a valid work around, but only until I change providers or move. Then I'm back to the same old situation where I won't get any E-mail sent to that address and would have to set up a new address and a new forwarding account which is the whole reason that I went with a Yahoo account in the first place. The whole thing just seems pointless.

5. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Considering you don't need to supply any info at Yahoo email accounts, I can see why some places would be cautious about not allowing you to use that as a valid email address.

If you ever did something suspicious, signing up with a Comcast account would be easier for these sites to track you down.

It's all about security now-a-days.

6. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    What do you mean by a disposable e-mail account? How can the system know if the account is real or not? I have my e-mail configured with my main address (which is only known to friends / family) and a few tracker addresses (used online). These online addresses go through additional spam filtering and some of the accounts use challenge / response (you need to prove you are human by typing in a visible code before you can send me e-mail). Each address is routed into a specific mail folder in my main account. Perhaps you should try this type of service (often ~$5 a year or so).

7. MarkHastings

He must mean the free ones.

8. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

A tad off topic, but I have recently decided to change my main @yahoo email address due to excessive SPAM (thinking that a new address would throw the spammers off for a while)... But I'm finding that all of dozens of bizarre and obtuse and "personal" email handles I have tried to register are all "taken" and "unavailable." Who the heck, besides me, has thought to use the name of the ship that brought Dracula to London as their @yahoo address, goshdarnit?! Who even knows this? This is super frustrating. Sorry for hijacking the topic, but we were talking about yahoo mail, etc...

MC

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Some places just don't want hit-n-runners to sign up to their community, thus, they require non-disposable email addresses for their new sign-ups.

10. Eric Peterson

So I am using a fake address?[​IMG]

I think that is poor terminology. What makes my address a fake address. I use it for online banking, making significant purchases at dozens of online stores, and well over 250 transactions on Ebay.

If somebody wants to cause problems, they're going to do it no matter what kind of E-mail addres they have. As for being "Disposable", I bet that I could call Comcast right now and get a new address for free, so how does that prevent me from making a new account if I really want to screw with things? As my memory recalls, I have not used a "real" E-mail address for nearly 10 years, yet this problem only now seems to be arising. I look at the internet as an convenience and a resource tool, and now the bad apples are converting it into a hassle and a nightmare. (Spam, Viruses, Spyware, incredibly complicated passwords, and now "Real" E-mail addresses.) which leads to more hassle, more money spent for software, and big headaches. [​IMG]

11. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

I have Cox internet, but my email account, along with my son's and my wife's have lapsed and been suspended. I own my own domain, and create and delete special purpose email accounts all the time.

12. MarkHastings

But the ones who ARE trying to screw people, use these free email addresses because of their 'intrackability' (if I can make up a word).

13. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Eric,

Many of those services allow you to change your e-mail address later - and to a yahoo type address as well. So, in that case, only use your "not-so-disposable" e-mail address to register and change it to your yahoo-address later in that case.

Also, you may be able to set up a "hardly to be used, ugly name" postbox with your provider, to use for those registration purposes, only for as long as strictly needed (sometimes you will have to react to a welcoming e-mail, or get a password that way).

Cees

14. Jeff Savage

Jeff Savage Second Unit

Ditto to the above. This is the best as you have full control. Sign up for one of the basic accounts at Godaddy and go wild. You have make whatever names you want plus it gives you web space to post a page, blog, pictures etc.

Laters,
    Jeff

15. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> This seems like a really lazy web administration to me

Part of it is because some free email services like Yahoo are notoriously bad at delivering email (i.e. incorrectly putting it in your bulk folder even though you signed up for it) and generate a lot of false spam complaints.

16. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

Whoa. You mean... At godaddy.com I could get micahcohen dot com, supposing my evil twin hasn't already done this (damn him!), and get an email address that's like "[email protected]"? Can I access this email as easily as I use yahoomail? (Or, must I use Outlook, which I hate?) Should I give up my freemail and get a paid account, even tho this strikes me as insane as paying for a radio service? Again, I hate to hijack this thread, but you all are skirting an issue I feel I need more info about. New thread? Private message?

Do I need to make a new New Year's Resolution?

MC

17. Eric Peterson

Thanks for the input guys.

I think I might try the idea of buying a domain and setting up my own E-mail. Although, I've never done this before.:b

18. mark tu

mark tu Extra

This is because you can get hotmail or whatever names with fake information that makes it hard to track who you really are.
    If you have comcast for instance, you can be tracked down by comcast.

This wasnt a problem until bulletin boards, similar to this one, had to ban someone for getting obsene or whatever - then the person whould just get another free email and sign back up and cause the same problems, so many sites started banning free email accounts to help prevent this.
    People on this site are very well behaved, but Ive seen some bulletin boards where fights break out with name calling, bashing, etc. and it gets very nasty and drive good posters away from the site.

Mark

19. MarkHastings

Yahoo mail has a way to check any POP email account. I check my personal email (SNET/SBC) account through my Yahoo account. You just need to know the POP info (which is you can find from your service providers web site).

If you're setting up your own web site, you'll be given all this info anyways, so it's real simple.

p.s. Here's a step-by-step link to setting up external mail accounts through Yahoo:
    http://help.yahoo.com/us/tutorials/m...t_access1.html

20. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> At godaddy.com I could get micahcohen dot com, supposing my evil twin hasn't already done this (damn him!), and get an email address that's like "[email protected]"? Can I access this email as easily as I use yahoomail? (Or, must I use Outlook, which I hate?)

micahcohen.com is already taken. You can get the .org or some of the other variations, though. Or maybe put your middle initial in there & still get the .com.

When you register a name you can create whatever email address you want for it (the part before the @).

Most hosting companies give you web-based email to access the mail for your domain. You can also create POP accounts as was already said here, & access them with any common mail software. Not sure why you hate Outlook, but you could use Eudora or any of many others.

Godaddy sucks, BTW.