What's new

Website sets new record for stupidity (re: PS3) (1 Viewer)

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
http://redherring.com/insider/2002/0...ion071902.html
Basically this entire article seems to be based on what one guy at Sony sees in his wet dreams. A point-by-point examination of this nonsense is not worth anyone's time but here are some choice comments:
"Buoyed by so much processing power, consumers will be able to interact with these worlds without worrying about hackers, viruses, or lost connections." (Yeah, a 24-hour broadband connection with constant peer-to-peer connections couldn't possibly be vulnerable to attack.)
".....neither broadband subscriptions nor the cell-computing chips are likely to become ubiquitous in just a few years--and ubiquity of these two things is critical to making this vision a reality. Still, the network effect applies here: more processors acting together equals more computing power." (How do they intend to make use of this "network effect" without broadband or cell-computing chips?)
"The performance the PlayStation 3 promises to deliver is far beyond the progress almost guaranteed by the chip- manufacturing advances codified by Moore's law." (I promise I will marry a supermodel and make billions in the pork rind market, but I don't expect to see this reported in any magazines anytime soon.)

James_A

Stunt Coordinator
Let's see.... distributed computing across my home network... that means that my PS3 would be able to get my Xbox, Linux PC, 3 Windows PC's and a PDA to do it's job?

The idea behind a consoule is that it all has the same hardware... that is, my PS2 is the same as your PS2 (or close enough that developers don't have to account for the variations). So if this new PS3 thing was able to leech my processor power from my P5 or AMD Hammer, and a GForce 6 or Radeon 987654321 (whatever they call it)... what happens to that consoule parity? Especially if my friend Bob is still chugging away on his Duron, or Celeron?

Jim

Brad Grenz

Second Unit
Let's see.... distributed computing across my home network... that means that my PS3 would be able to get my Xbox, Linux PC, 3 Windows PC's and a PDA to do it's job?

The idea behind a consoule is that it all has the same hardware... that is, my PS2 is the same as your PS2 (or close enough that developers don't have to account for the variations). So if this new PS3 thing was able to leech my processor power from my P5 or AMD Hammer, and a GForce 6 or Radeon 987654321 (whatever they call it)... what happens to that consoule parity? Especially if my friend Bob is still chugging away on his Duron, or Celeron?
I think the idea is that it would use other idle PS3 systems on the network. It wouldn't even be possible to do what you suggest unless all those other machines were running some kind of distributed computiong client (like the SETI, folding, etc programs". But that doesn't matter cause that isn't what they mean.

Brian Teal

Grip
Am I the only one who thinks this wouldn't work unless the average ping time magically decreases to < 10ms?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks