Website not loading properly. What happened?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Mark Shannon, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

I am an active member of the DeviantArt community, and almost every day sit in the chat rooms, conversing and what not. A couple of days ago, I left the chatroom open during the night, and came back in the morning to find that I had been disconnected from the chat. This was not a rare occurance, as other times I left it open, i had been disconnected from the chat, but simply reloaded the page to connect again.

This time, however, is different. Instead, the page has failed to load whatsoever. I use Firefox as my default browser, and this was what was running when I experienced this. However, IE also refuses to load the page. Finding this odd, I tried to load the page on the other TWO computers on my network, and both failed to load the page on both IE and FF as well. Weird.

I then send the website link to several people on my MSN list, and they are succesfully able to load the page, with no problems whatsoever.

What has happened here? Is it something with my router (Linksys BEFSR41)? Has my ISP (rogers high speed) refused to allow me to connect to this site? I'm stumped.

2. David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

I've had it happen a couple times with various sites and I never know quite why. Wipe the cache and cookies, restart the computer and everything seems back to normal.

3. Mark Shannon

I wish I could say that worked for me. That was one of the first things I tried, but to no avail.

Besides, wouldn't that only mean that there's a problem with one of my computers. I have a total of three computers on this network, and none of them are able to access the site.

Doesn't that mean it's either a problem with the router, or the ISP?

4. James Spraggs

James Spraggs Stunt Coordinator

i have a problem with this form time to time. I usally unplug my cable modem form power, and also teh router and let them sit for a minute or two. When I hook them back up, everything seems to work fine.

5. Mark Shannon

Well, i just tried that, James. And again, no luck. Thanks though.

I'm starting to wonder if its the ISP that's blocked this website for some godforsaken unknown reason. Is there any reason an ISP would do this? I can't see any other explanation, other than the router blocking it somehow, but how is that possible?

6. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

This has all the symptoms of a blocked IP address. Now, it's possible that your service provider has automatically blocked the deviantart IP after having timed-out from it a certain number of times, but I don't think that's too likely. Usually being kicked off a server after being connected to it too long without any activity is a function of the remote server, either an anti-bandwidth-leech protection or just to clear that port for someone else who wants to connect. It's more than likely that your IP was automatically banned by the deviantart server after a certain number of these timeouts, and you'll need to contact the site admins to get listed again.
    To test this hypothesis, you will need to find a proxy server [they're everywhere] and, in effect, "spoof" your IP address. If you can connect to deviantart that way, your problem is what I have described, and you need to contact the deviantart admins [but in the meantime you can continue connecting through a proxy]. Now, unless your whole subnet was banned, you can also reset your IP -- it is very unlikely that you use a static IP even through a braodband ISP. In Windows XP this function is available via Control Panel > Network Connections > [name of your connection], under "status" or "properties" or "repair" or something [I am not on broadband at the moment, but it's not hard to find]. This is what people are doing by resetting their routers and so forth.

7. Mark Shannon

Thanks Chris (yet again).

It really sounds like you could be right, because I have timed out from the site on several occasions.

I'll try your idea about the proxy server, but I have no clue to connect to one of those. Does you, or anyone else think you could give me a hand with that.

Once I've done that I'll connect and contact the site admins.

Thanks.

8. Mark Shannon

So, anyone know how to connect through a proxy? I have no idea.

9. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

Have you done a "ipconfig /flushdns" yet?

10. Mark Shannon

Rob, no I haven't. What is it, and how can it be carried out?

11. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

oh! you need to type that in at the command prompt. just hit start->rum and run cmd and it should open the prompt up. Then just type in "ipconfig /flushdns" without the quotes.

What this does is it dumps the cache of all the nameservers (the guys that link url's to ip addresses). Sometimes when you having troubles loading parts of paces it's because one of the name servers has bad information from anything like not being updated, so links to certain areas are messed up while others may be fine.

12. Mark Shannon

Thanks Rob.

I tried that, and still no luck.

Right now I'm connecting to the site through a proxy, but I'm really detesting doing so.

I wish there were some easy solution to this.