Website Hosting?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Bunge, Dec 16, 2001.

1. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

I'm about to start a small business with my Dad and need to find someone to host a website. Do any of you guys have any leads for me? Initially I'm looking for good service and CHEAP prices. In the future I may be adding an online store so folks can make purchases directly over the 'net.

Any help that ya'll could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Brian

2. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

I run our online DVD Storage business through bcentral. Not a bad service with quite a few features for the price. They recently "upgraded" their service giving even more features but cut back on bandwidth.[​IMG] You get a free shopping cart that is easily customized. Easy integration with CSI online merchant services who has fairly decent fees.
    Also, their default HTML editor is now Frontpage 2002. You can use another free editor if you wish. We like using Frontpage since you can easily write your own script and have Frontpage recognize it. Simply upload changes from within Frontpage, and you are ready to go.
    Getting online is not quite as simple as it looks if you know nothing of how e-commerce works. However, once you dive in, it gets fairly simple. Just remember you have to have a web-hosting service, shopping cart software, and a credit card merchant for online orders. There are combination services for many of the above (i.e. you can get a web hosting service with shopping cart software - a merchant account that has the shopping cart back-end included - or a web-hosting service that combines all three.)
    If you have any question, just ask.
    C. Ryan

3. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    I have had excellent service from Hosting4Less. After paying $99/month for 140mb of storage from a major hosting company, I found a company that is based a few miles from me, paid $29/month for 600mb and 25gb of bandwidth. I actually pay $44/month because I have 3 additional domains pointing at my site and they charge $5/domain extra.

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Guys,
    Thanks for the responses so far! If you get a chance, check out www.siteturn.com and look at their $23.95/month e-commerce package and let me know what you think. The price looks awfully good and appears to offer everything I need!
    Brian

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Brian, I've never used the e-commerce portion of the account I have at Ready Hosting, so I can't vouch for its efficaciousness, but with a "payback" after 4 months of use, it might be worth a call to the Ready Hosting tech support line for them to answer your concerns.
    I mainly was attracted to the 500MB of disk storage. [​IMG]
    I just FTP my photo files to my account when I need to upload them. I don't think you can edit your webpages in "real time" like you could on a unix/linux account, but it's just as easy to download the current webpage, and then upload it to the right home directory.

7. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

I am the webmaster for my church. We use NoMonthlyFees.com. You pay either $150 or $200 setup fee, then either $35 a year for 200MB or $70 a year for 500MB after that. Great service, easy access to your site either via the web or ftp, and they have everything you need to run a business.
    NoMonthlyFees.com

8. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Pat,

I went ahead and signed up with readyhosting.com. I figure if 500MB is enough space for all your pictures it should be good enough for me!

I also called them and asked them about the e-commerce software. It's completely free but you have to set up a merchant account through someone for the service to be fully automated.

Thanks to everyone for all their help!

Brian