Website Design Help

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Van Patton, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Van Patton

Van Patton Second Unit

I recently bought a domain name with a host. I was wondering what is the best/easiest way to start putting great stuff up on my website? I'm mostly just looking for a way to put up .mp3's and make a "somewhat" slick website. I've already downloaded CuteFTP and HTML-Kit. Thanks!!

2. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    I use Ipswitch's WS_FTP (it's free, not shareware), Dreamweaver MX, FrontPage (for tables and page layout) and Notepad. There are a lot of free HTML editors out there, and you don't need anything fancy unless you're in a rush.

Try somewhere like HTML Goodies to read up on the basics and practice using notepad. HTML editors can do a lot, but you need to know how to manipulate HTML or you'll get stuck pretty quickly.

Come up with a simple page template, spend some time on the navigation, don't go crazy with the background colours and *always* double-check that your links and images are working correctly (and always link to images on your own server, unless you want something like this to happen). It's pretty easy, really.

You'll probably find yourself constantly tweaking and improving things (my personal website is on version 5, with hundreds of small changes along the way).

Adam

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

4. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Like Adam, I use WS_FTP. It's old, ugly, clunky, but easy to use and very fast.

If you want to edit HTML code and handcraft your own web pages, Arachnophilia is a great place to start. I haven't used it in a few years, but when I was starting out (as a hobbyist) this was the best general purpose, freeware available. When I become a more serious hobbyist, I bought HomeSite. It is a full-feature (professional class) HTML editor. I'm on the older v5 and don't dabble much anymore; I don't know its status now that Macromedia bought Allaire, the former makers.

Absolutely do not use Notepad for web editing. It's the wrong tool (and a poor program). For general purpose editing, get the free metapad. It is what Notepad should have been.

Beyond that, start searching. Not surprisingly, there are countless resources online for learning how to create webpages. Also, View Source is your friend. Use the source for favorite websites as inspiration and teaching guides (just don't blatantly steal entire pages and themes).

Happy Web-Crafting!