Website Critique

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Joe Spratley, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Joe Spratley

Joe Spratley Stunt Coordinator

Hello Everyone,

Back in January I put up my first website for my business that deals in Gas Monitors . You guys were really helpful in critiquing it for me and gave me some great ideas and helped me find some spelling mistakes.

I like this ecommerce thing so much I decided to open another store selling Grandfather Clocks . The first website I built I used Yahoo Sitebuilder which is a good tool for beginners. This time however, I wanted to take advantage of CSS style sheets so I used Dreamweaver. It was a lot of work learning the program but it was made much easier by watching the training videos on www.lynda.com
    . I have found this to be an invaluable tool. I watched about 20 hours of videos on Dreamweaver but I think I learned much more and much faster than I ever could have reading a computer book. For $25/mo I think this site is a steal since they have tons of training videos for all types of programs.

Anyway I was wondering if you guys could take a look at my site and give me your opinions and suggestions on it. I've worked on it for a couple of weeks now so I'm a little too close to it right now to see it objectively. It's a pure CSS layout and it comes up good in IE but in Firefox it's a little messed up, but Firefox is only like 2% of the browsers out there so I'm not too worried about it.

Thanks,
    Joe
    www.royalestategrandfatherclocks.com

2. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

i use firefox (as i think everyone should) and i didn't have any trouble navigating the site. looked a little odd, but that's probably due to my browser. if i was really interested in buying a grandfather clock, the look wouldn't have deterred me.

kevin t

3. Joe Spratley

I agree, Firefox is better than IE. Hopefully it will continue to increase in popularity.

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    is the pic on the clock on the right supposed to stretch that far below the rest of the page? Im using Firefox 1.0PR

5. Joe Spratley

Nick, no it's supposed to push the footer down but it won't work in firefox. In IE it does work though. I figured that for this product since it isn't a technical product most users are going to be using IE. If I was selling a technical product though, I would definitely make sure it works in Firefox since so many of us tech savvy guys use Firefox.

6. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

The clock graphic is screwed up in Safari and Omniweb too.