Website building problem....Frontpage related

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Alf S, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfie
    Long story short...

My wife has enlisted a friend (in another state)to help her build a website. Things are going well so far, but they've encountered a glitch.

The lady basically creates the pages and my wife takes the HTML and uses Frontpage 2003 to put it together and FTP it to our hosting site. Honestly I don't know much more than that so far.

However today when my wife was looking at one of the website pages in IE 6, she noticed that when she clicked "File" the drop down box showed the option to "Edit with Frontpage"...She asked me to open the webpage here at my office to check this out, and sure enough I had that option of editing with FP show up.

Question now is, how do we stop this from happening so that any Joe Sixpack can't do the same thing?

Is there something on the host side (Using www.1and1.com)that needs to be done to protect the site?

Hope this makes sense, and someone can offer some help.

Thanks in advance

Alf

2. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    First of all, if someone else is coding the website with pure html, there is no need to import that html into Frontpage. First of all, the source html would be clean. Frontpage adds all sorts of unneeded code, which will slow down the page loading time, make the page harder to edit, and make it incompatible with certain browsers, such as firefox.

And secondly, there is no way to protect your site's html from being stolen. That is the nature of the world wide web. For the web browser to be able to display it, it has to be able to see the html. There are javascript applets that can keep people from viewing the source code from within the browser, but they can always save the page to a location on their hard drive, and then open it in a text editor.

3. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

When you use FrontPage to edit a webpage through IE, basically the program is just transfering the code over to FP, recreating the page and then it allows you to edit it. There's nothing you can do to "stop" anyone from doing that.
    What it doesn't allow you to do, is save the changes. When you edit the page that way, FrontPage is not logged into the web server that your site resides on, so it's not possible to save any changes to the server and make them public.

The only way to truly change the site is to open FrontPage and connect to your webserver with your username and password, then make the changes and save them while logged into the web server.

You don't have to worry about someone being able to change your site that way and make those changes public. They can't do that without the correct login.

4. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfie
    Thanks guys...I'll pass this on to the ladies.

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Skip Frontpage altogether. Use a free FTP program like SmartFTP to transfer things back and forth.

6. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

Or you can use Firefox to disallow Javascript and view the source. I have done this a few times, but I don't "steal" code, just to learn how to do it myself.

As for Frontpage, I have heard many bad things about it. If the other lady is coding the HTML, it would be better to just use a WYSIWYG editor (hippie98, etc.) and upload plain HTML files rather than from Frontpage.

7. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfie
    Thanks guys...ya see when she gets the HTML, she needs to open it up so she can preview the pages to see if she likes it...then she adds some text and pix to the final product and FTP's it to the host.

That's why FP 03 is part of the mix....

8. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    Well that's fine, but don't use Front Page to do it. I'd use Dreamweaver of CoffeCup HTML.