Weber Genesis or Vermont Castings

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jean Luc, Feb 22, 2004.

1. Jean Luc

Jean Luc Agent

Looking into a long term propane grill. The $100 ones only last so long and cook very unevenly. Home Depot currently holds these 2 in stock. Looking specifically at the weber genesis silver b and the vermont castings CF9030. Both are $400. At first glance the VC looks nicer. Open the hood, and that sucker is HEAVY. Really well made. The weber almost looks flimsy in comparison. Both are 36k BTU. the only advantage of the weber I see is that it has 611sqin cooking area vs 522sqin on the VC. Also, the weber comes with the propane tank.
    I need your guys' input in order to decide. Right now i am leaning towards the VC. Have I missed anything?
    JL

2. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

Well Jean Luc, this is good because the first step in fixing a problem is admitting you have a problem.

--Matt
    (an obvious [Weber] charcoal grill fan)

Now a real answer: can you think of a time where 522 square inches of grill space wouldn't be big enough? Depends on if you like to have people over, have a big family, or will be using the grill in some other large setting.

3. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    I have the Weber Genesis Gold and am extremely happy with this product. It is very durable and cooks amazingly compared to my old grill. I would buy Weber again.

4. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    As I work in the propane and propane accessories business, I would move you toward this website

NRG Distributors

There are some nice grills available here.

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i have the vc 30 - am totally happy with it. i also bought it from home depot for right about 400 bucks.

which one is the cf9030? i didn't see it on their website.

anyway, from a performance/durability p.o.v, i'm totally happy with my grill. i think i bbq'd four days a week over the summer. [​IMG]

6. Jean Luc

Jean Luc Agent

Ted, I think the VC30 is the same as the 9030. HD also sells the 9050 which i think is the same as the vc50.
    It is a very nice grill indeed, and is priced right.
    JL

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

yeah, that sounds right.

i think what impressed me was the weight and thickness of the firebox. the thing holds it's heat very well ... even if you keep the lid open. keep it closed and it easily cranks up to 400+ degrees.

when i was building it, i thought that the leg assembly was kinda cheesy, but after it was all put together, the thing remained very stable. i roll it around a lot too (from storage to patio...)

good luck!

8. Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols Supporting Actor

I have a Vermont Castings, and the only way I would be convinced to get something else is if you pry this one form my dead, cold fingers....

9. Armando Zamora

Armando Zamora Second Unit

My Weber Genesis Silver is 3 years old and still cooking as if were new. Used the rotiserrie attachment and cooked a 5-lb. bird on it last night. Mmmmmmmmmm...it was some good eats for dinner. I've taken very good care of my grill because I plan on having it last for a long time. My friends and neighbors make fun of me everytime they see me cooking on it, because I baby it so much. I love my Weber. After 3 years, it still cooks evenly...no hot or cold spots. I would definitely buy another one if I were in the market for a grill.

10. Jean Luc

Jean Luc Agent

Vermont Castings IT IS!!!!
    24oz Porterhouse rare, coming up!!![​IMG]
    Thanks Lance and Ted
    The Weber comes in at a close second