What's new

Web video monitoring - anyone doing it? (1 Viewer)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I would like to install a camera (wireless if possible) near my front door that would connect to my PC or Ethernet connection (cable modem) and allow me to do two things:

1. Monitor the video feed via my PC at work.
2. Save the footage to my PC hard drive.

Has anyone here installed something like this and how much does it cost? Would something like this be what I want?:

http://www.smarthome.com/6325.html

Thanks!

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I haven't done this type of thing, but regarding the link you gave I would be very hesitant to get a wireless model. I'm not sure if you would be able to encrypt the information sent from the camera and today's wireless encryptions are easily broken anyway. Call me paranoid, but I'd be little concerned about other people with wireless equipment being able to see through my cameras. I guess it may not be a big deal if they are all outside cameras, but it would still make me uncomfortable.

But what you're wanting to do should be possible. You can certainly save it to your HD. Make sure you have a large HD and you might want to setup some sort of schedule that will delete video more than a couple weeks old so your drive doesn't fill up too quickly. And I'm sure there's software that will allow you to monitor from work. As a last resort you could use the Windows Remote Assistance thing, but I'm sure there's something better out there. If you've got access to set up a secured website you might could stream it to your own website and use that to monitor it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks