What's new

Web suggestions, and where to host an ASP site (1 Viewer)

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
Hey everyone,
In my sig is a link to my new personal website. I have the main pages completed ("Home theater page", "personal page", etc.), but I'm trying to figure out what to do with the other links ("pictures", "equipment", etc.). Go here to see what I mean HT Page
I want to get away from having a separate html page for every little link. I am thinking about using an Access database to store the file names of all the pictures, then using ASP to build the page based on what files are stored in the database. Is this the best way to do what I need? If I did this, where could I have the site hosted?
I'm also open to any other suggestions about the site.
Thanks

Greg Rowe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Greg
Jared,

Have you ever looked into PHP instead of ASP? What about postgres instead if Access, or maybe MySQL? Most hosting companies don't use Microsoft products for servers because UNIX solutions are far more flexible and easier to maintain. PHP works on Windows, and I am pretty sure Postgres and MySQL run on windows too, so you could still develope your site on your Windows machine, and then upload it to a UNIX server.

There are numerous free photo galleries written in PHP already.

Also, if you do go the route of ASP or PHP a full blown DB might not be necesary - a simple text file would be more than enough for most applications.

Greg

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the tips, Greg.

My company is slowly moving most of their web stuff to Windows machines, so I haven't really looked into PHP. I probably should though, because there is still a bunch of UNIX machines running around here. I just can't use any to host a personal site...

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
If you have an MSDN subscription, you could consider using ASP.NET. There are a few ASP.NET providers out there now. However, avoid the free ASP.NET providers...they suck, but what do you expect for free? Anyhow, they are also ASP providers too. Try searching Google.com for "ASP.NET hosting" and see what you can find!
Do a lot of research...I haven't been keeping up to date on it in months. Some providers are better than others.
BTW, I love ASP.NET programming...it's a lot of fun, and very powerful. Sure, it's sponsored by the evil empire, but hey, evil can be fun sometimes. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks