What's new

Web site design questions. (1 Viewer)

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
I am a novice when it comes to website design, I run a guild website for my buddies an I for Star Wars Galaxies. I want to know if anyone in the HTF knows anything about site design or a good forum to visit for design help and tips.
My question is, I have alot of content on my site and currently when I add a new link on the main page menu I have to go through all of the other pages and add the link to the menu bar. Is there an easy way to create a menu that will update across all pages kind of like CSS. I want to add say a new planet link to all pages but I want to have to spend an hour updating every page.
The website I run if anyone wants to see my novice work is
RebelJustice
I am somewhat new to web design so be kind.:D
Any help would be aprreciated, Thanks.

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
I dont need a web site builder, I have Dream Weaver. I just want to know if there is an easy way to make something update across all pages like cascading style sheets?

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
You're talking about the menu on the left, I'm guessing. It looks like you could collapse that menu down to its headers and put it in a frame. The collapsed menu should avoid any tacky scroll bars on the frame. You'd have to create a page for each expanded menu, though.. but, there'd be only one to update for each.

Or... you could animate it using JAVA and really snazz it up and save space. Check out http://www.dynamicdrive.com/

They have a lot of cut-and-paste java scripts that you can add to your page without having to know jack about java.

Looks like the Smart Folding Menu Tree might fit your needs. You can change the icons to something more "star-warsy". :D

Bob_Chase

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff, since your using Dreamweaver, Macromedia gives you an easy way to manage repeatable pieces of code such as what you described. First make sure you've defined a "site" for Dreamweaver to manage. Then create your menu as a Dreamweaver library item. Then drop that library item onto each page that you want the menu to display.

Now whenever you want to update the links on the menu, you update only the Library item. Dreamweaver will handle updating every page containing that library item.

An invaluable web development resource can be found here: http://www.sitepoint.com

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Heck, since you're using Dreamweaver why not use templates? Update the template and the program will update all pages using that template. It's probably not the most efficient in that every page contains the constant elements (e.g. the navigation bar) but it sounds like you're doing that now anyways.

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the tips and links guys, I think the library tip might work perfect. I didnt even think about that in Dreaweaver. I'll try it out and let yopu know how it worked.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks