Web Page Design Software

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John*K, Dec 20, 2001.

1. John*K

John*K Stunt Coordinator

Hi!

I'm interested in making a web page, and would like to make it as professional looking as possible. Do any of you with web sites use a program that works very well? I am using a PC.

2. Jeffrey_Jones

Jeffrey_Jones Second Unit

That depends on how familiar you are with web design and scripting techniques. If you are comfortable with HTML I find that Cold Fusion Studio is the best editor. If you want a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editor then you should take a look at the newest version of MS FrontPage, Adobe GoLive 5.0 or one of the many other programs that allow you to build web sites quickly.
    Here is a link to reviews of several. http://www.zdnet.com/products/filter...006713,00.html
    I find that FrontPage 2002 works very well for basic to intermediate requirements and is the least expensive. Most people with a new version of MS Office already have it.
    Thanks,
    Jeff

3. Darren H

Darren H Second Unit

Macromedia Web Design Studio comes with everything you need for professional web design, assuming, of course, that you won't need high-end database integration:

- Dreamweaver (WYSIWYG editor that generates very clean HTML)

- Fireworks (nice bitmap editor)

- Flash (industry standard Vector animation)

- Freehand (illustration package)

I'm not sure what the retail price is for the package, but the educational version is a bargain at under $200.

I designed all of my web site using the Macromedia Studio and Photoshop, and I think it turned out pretty well.

4. Craig Chatterton

Craig Chatterton Stunt Coordinator

I'll second the Macromedia products. Dreamweaver is an excellent WYSIWYG design program, and it doesn't muck with your HTML if you don't want it to (unlike FrontPage). Fireworks is simply the best graphics web design program I've ever used. It was the first computer program I was willing to shell out $200 for.

I wasn't able to find a product called Web Design Studio, but I saw Dreamweaver 4.0/Fireworks 4.0 Studio at Egghead.com for $400.

5. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer

6. John*K

John*K Stunt Coordinator

7. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    I use Dreamweaver for coming up with and perfecting look and feel in a WYSIWYG environment, but I use HomeSite for the serious HTML coding (and for adding any scripting) because of it's powerful editing features. As a plus, HomeSite can be integrated into Dreamweaver to be used as the text-based editor. Throw in TopStyle to use as HomeSite's style sheet editor, and CSE HTML Validator (also can be integrated) for checking code and you can't go wrong.

I use Fireworks and PhotoShop for graphics.

I would not use FrontPage nor recommend it to anyone, even the free lite version that comes with some versions of Windows. I also wouldn't use any word-processor output HTML because it does not output clean, unbloated code. The files will end up 2-5 times larger than they need to be most of the time. As everyone else has previously stated, use Dreamweaver for WYSIWYG

8. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    :b Sorry. I understood your question as "Do any of you with web sites use a program that works very well [in making and a professional looking website]?"

But as I said, I like Homesite as an HTML (PHP, etc.) editor. And there are several, quality freeware editors.

I tried Dreamworks briefly (there's a eval. download version). It has a nice interface, and was pretty easy to use.

9. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

I like Notepad and Homesite.

10. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer

11. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

For text editors in the Windows world, let me put in a plug for Textpad (http://www.textpad.com). This is a great editor that has served me well in its various versions for five years.
    HTML isn't hard at all. I'd highly recommend coding directly as much as possible, since that will give you maximum control over the results without all the superfluous junk the WYSIWYG programs seem to dribble all over the code.
    But, if you're really more comfortable using a generator, I'd definitely go with Dreamweaver over FrontPage. FrontPage has a nasty habit of periodically going insane and changing your whole website around for no apparent reason -- it's the typical Microsoft syndrome of trying to interpret what you "really" want instead of doing what you actually request.
    Ryan

12. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

Dreamweaver is an excellent package. There's a demo version which can be downloaded from Macromedia's Site .
    It will help to know basic HTML (I read the Idiot's Guide book and found it very useful) as there'll be times when you want to tinker "under the hood" to get the desired result etc..
    Ultraedit is another text-based editor that is often recommended over notepad.