Web page design - need advice

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jon_Are, Mar 13, 2004.

1. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Hi all,

I'm taking my first crack at designing a web page, and something has me stumped.

I'm happy with the way it's going, but when I preview my design, it shows up almost entirely on the left side of the monitor. The entire screen is filled with the texture background, but the text, photos, and link buttons are confined to the left portion of the viewing area.

I have noticed some sites I've visited in the past have this occur as well. HTF, for example, fills the screen from left to right; when on the USAtoday site, though, the right 1/3 of my screen remains white.

I am using Microsoft Publisher to create the page.

Any help is appreciated.

Jon

2. Kelvin Tucker

Kelvin Tucker Stunt Coordinator

I can't help you with THE solution, but an understanding of why it is happening may help you find it.

Some sites, like USAToday, (and maybe the Frontpage default) are setup for a 800x600 screen resolution. When you are using a 1024x768 or higher resolution, you will see blank space on the right side of the screen. Commercial sites like to take the least common denominator approach like this, since it is better than having LOTS of people needing to scroll right to see anything. (this is what happens to 800x600 desktops when viewing 1024x768 web sites)

So, you get to choose who is inconvenienced - You or some resolution challenged viewers....:b

3. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I always think that a lot of white space on a page is a good thing. As Kelvin said, what you're seeing is a combination of using left-justification on your page objects and simply not 'filling up' the right side. If you leave the background white or plain, the 'unusual' look will be diminished quite a bit. It's a design I purposefully used on the memorial site I set up for my friend who died a couple of years ago (www.tish.org). I just prefer the look of it and you'll see it a LOT on commerical sites.

You could use centre-jusification, but then your paragraphs will look weird.

As for your background image - think carefully if it's really necessary. A lot of sites that use backgrounds look horribly overcrowded to my eyes and I think the result often ends up looking rather amatuerish.

Less is more, as they say.

4. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Thanks for the replies.

This isn't a big deal to me; I was just wondering why it was happening and if I should try to 'fix' it.

With regard to my background, it is just a subtle, appealing texture -rather than an image; I like the way it looks.

Jon