Web Hosting and build site help

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Tim L, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

I am in the process of designing a web site but the problem is i can design the site and get all the files ready to go (slicing and optimizing) but after that I am lost. I don't know dreamweaver or HTML. I was looking at sites like Register.com to host a site at- but you have to use pre-made templates and such, which I don't want to do, or you can use them to build a site using dreamweaver and such. Are there any sites that will allow you to upload your files out of photoshop and then have them coded? I hope I am making sense-kind of frustrating- I am almost there but no quite. thanks
    Tim

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I don't know of any programs you can use to export from Photoshop and have the program write the HTML for you. It would probably be worth downloading a trial of Dreamweaver or FrontPage and working with it a little. FrontPage is pretty straightforward, while Dreamweaver has more of a learning curve, but is more powerful.

3. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    You should search the Computer section of HTF -- similar topics have been talked about before.

What do you mean? Do you have HTML files created and don't know how to upload them to your webhost? Or you have a vision for the website but don't know how to create the HTML code?

Also, Google is your friend. Not surprisingly, there is an enormous amount of information on creating websites online. There are (or at least, were) websites dedicated to teaching people how to do it.

4. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Just spend 10 minutes in Dreamweaver and you should get the jist of it. It's a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editor.

Drag files from your images folder into the program and place them in table cells.

5. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    You can use more recent versions of Photoshop, which come with ImageReady, to design your layout and then have it export out in HTML, but like most things of this nature it's not the best way to go and there's a learning curve there in creating slices, etc. Ultimately I think you'd be better off learning basic HTML and maybe Dreamweaver. Like most things having a good foundation leads to greater sustainability. And even with the Photoshop HTML export you'll still need SOME knowledge of HTML to fix any problems and be able to update things. That said, HTML is very easy and straightforward to learn.

6. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

I write my own HTML and CSS by hand. The result isn't complex, but I like to think it's elegant; certainly it gets the job done and is very clean. Basically I used the W3C's own toolkit -- the NCSA guide to HTML, Dave Ragget's Introductions to HTML and CSS, the formal specifications for HTML and CSS [which go into great detail about what they do, though be advised that the part in the CSS spec about ordered lists is simply wrong], and the HTML and CSS validators and the link checker. I use the free programme EDXOR for my text editor.
    It's not that hard, but you have to get into the habit of thinking in functional rather than visual elements.

7. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

thanks for the replys- some good advice for sure. It seems dreamweaver may be the way to go-a friend of mine has it (not sure which version) but he never used it so he says I can have it! So maybe I will try and go that route. So has anyone used those pre-made sites like Register.com? just curious, thanks
    Tim

8. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I'll take back a little of what I said about Photoshop. It's a nice tool to use if your site uses a lot of images for its design. The slicing feature is probably the best part, but current standards frown on the use of tables for layout, which is what Photoshop generates in its HTML export to contain and place all the image slices. If that hasn't changed or even if div tags are being used now, it would still benefit you to be familiar with the code for troubleshooting, etc.

9. Kevin_Spradley

Kevin_Spradley Stunt Coordinator

I currently use godaddy for the domain registration. When I registered the domain, I got a free 5 GB hosting account.

10. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

I forgot about them-have to check them out, thanks

11. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    The image optimizing is only part of it. The images need some kind of way to be placed on the page, arranged so the slices - like pieces of a really simple puzzle - line up and recreate the page as designed. The old method was to use tables - the same type of table used to hold data, but usually with borders turned off and multiple cells merged together to form large areas of the layout. When you create slices you are basically defining the cells in the table - how many cells and how they are grouped together - for when you export to HTML. If you look at the source code for this site you will see that tables are being used for layout, indicated by the < table >, < tr > (table row), and < td > (table data) tags.

The new method for layout is to use cascading style sheets or CSS, which is very different approach from the old method but much more powerful.

12. Scott L

Scott L Producer

yea pure css is definitely a challenge if you have a funky layout, but the end result it worth it. Pages load a tad bit quicker, and the code is much, much more cleaner.

worst part is ie6 is a real PITA when it comes to CSS compliance. What looks fine in Firefox, Opera, Konquerer, Safari... may look like crap in ie : (version 7 is supposed to change all that btw)

css still has a ways to though. there are countless hacks available on the web just to do the most seemingly simple things (vertical centering, h/v stretching, issues when floating..) so I would definitely recommend sticking with tabled layouts first, while adding css for text styles in the process.

13. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

You know what gets me? You can do right-to-left and left-to-right text in HTML, but there is absolutely no way to do text in vertical columns! [​IMG] Oriental languages look -- and read -- best in this format, and it's just not supported.

14. attilakhan

attilakhan Auditioning

Today I just found this COOL & Powerful web host as good as Godaddy but FREE with:

By the way,It's Free Forever, not Free Trial! of course, you can upgrade your service to meet high requirements! but no need for most situations!

"Free" doesn't mean "Bad", actally I have been using free webhost with satisfication for over 1 year!
    It meets all my requirement for a website which has upto 1000 leads ,50000 pageview daily.

click to see:

http://i-search-you.com/reviews/freewebhost1.html

- 1500 MB of Disk Space
    - 100 GB Bandwidth
    - Your own domain hosting
    - cPanel Control panel
    - Website Builder
    - Over 500 website templates ready for download
    - Free POP3 Email Box and Webmail access
    - FTP and Web based File Manager
    - PHP, MySQL, Perl, CGI, Ruby.
    - No Ads at all !