web filtering software

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Eric_L, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

My kids have finally reached that age. They are doing research online for school and fun. So far I have no major worries. I've set the webpage main page as yahooligans and they seem uninterested in straying from there. We also have the PC in the middle of the livingroom where they can be observed.
    Regardless, I think it is time for me to look into some filtering software. The choices are minion!
    I can download earthlink's Total Access, but I'm not sure if it isn't just some 2nd rate spyware infested free wear POS or not.
    Does anyone have any advice?

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

What's the main goal? Is it to keep them from finding something accidentally or intentionally?

If accidentally, I would recommend Bsafe. It's gotten very good reviews all around.

If intentially, I would recommend a program called Covenant Eyes which does not filter or block, but simply logs everything and then emails it to the parents. It rates the sites with a maturity ranking and sends a report detailing the sites with high rankings. This program cannot be beaten like filters can which is why it helps with the intentionally trying to find mature things.

3. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

I'd second the Bsafe rec.

4. Fred Seger

Fred Seger Stunt Coordinator

I just installed a program called Naomi on my daughters computer.

http://www.radiance.m6.net/

It's very simple, but free and seems to work - how good I don't know yet.

You might also check out the links at the bottom of the page above for other useful software.

5. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

I'm not really sure it would be accidental or intentional at this point. My boys are still under ten and not all that curious yet. But they are boys...
    They are not yet that tech savvy to beat a filter - I don't think. They will soon want email. That is a pandoras box.

I just don't know.