What's new

Weather Channel cutbacks (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Starting last week or the week before, instead of getting local weather reports with the "Local on the 8s," I'm just getting forecasts for major cities and regional weather maps, satellite views, and radar. Does anybody know if it's only going to get worse, or will it get better as the econony starts to get better?

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
"Local on the 8's" is inserted, or in your case is supposed to be inserted, by the local cable company. Otherwise how would it be "local" for everyone across the country?

It's not a cutback, the insertion system is probably broke at your cable company. Ask them when they're going to fix it.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Ah, no wonder. My college switched satellite/cable services a couple weeks ago, so that's it. Thanks!

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
If it's satellite, such as DirecTV, then the local insertion system is not broke, it's non-existent!

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Yeah, we had cable, satellite, and OTA before. Now it's just satellite and OTA. That blows. Oh well, thank goodness for the Internet.

LewB

Screenwriter

I disagree with that statement. If you have a 'wink compatible
' receiver, you can get weather for your zip code any time on an interactive weather channel in the 490's I believe.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Lew, that is not the same as TWC local info. TWC local info comes from the National Weather Service, whereas Dish Network's Open TV (and more than likely Direct's too) info comes from Accuweather, an often used, but highly unaccurate source. I don't know how Direct works, but Dish's Open TV only shows a 5 day forecast, with hi/low and a graphic of the weather, no detailed forecast info like TWC's NWS feed.
I wish TWC would be able to offer local info to satellite subscribers, but that's what the internet and fav. links are for.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks