What's new

Weather Channel Annoyance.. (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Occasionally I'll leave the weather channel on in the background as I work on the computer, usually if there's absolutley nothing else on. However, one change I noticed in their Local on the 8's Forcast is rather annoying.

Now they have an 'announcer' announcing just about everything located on the screen. What, does the average Weather Channel exec think that the average viewer can no longer read?

Anyone else find this an annoying change?

Eric F

Screenwriter
The whole channel is one big annoyance. Lol.

Put on "weatherscan" if you have digital cable. Same deal, no announcer.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
They've been doing that for a couple years now. The reason is because their Local on the 8s forecast is now automated by computers (it used to be provided to them by the local National Weather Service office). I would imagine that part of the automation is having the computer (it's obvious it's not a real person "announcing" it) audibly "read" the forecast. That's my theory on the reason for the "announcing," though the automation replacing the NWS forecasts IS true.

I'm actually doing an internship right now with a former Weather Channel on-air meteorologist. If I remember, the next time I work with him (on Tuesday), I'll ask him if he knows the reasoning behind it.

John Watson

Screenwriter
THE WEATHER CHANNEL in Canada is highly annoying, for so many reasons I can hardly express myself coherently.

I'll restrain myself and just say it is a vehicle for ads for ice melters, allergy medications, sunscreens, and insurance coverage that "you can't be refused".

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks