What's new

Weakness in my system (1 Viewer)

DaveJo

Auditioning
I have been looking over my set-up and am trying to make some improvements. I'm not sure where to start.

Current set-up:
Onkyo TX-SR800
Mitsubishi 52'
Cerwin Vega VS-120 (front)
JBL CL505 (center)
JBL TLX105 (rear)
JBL PB10 (sub)

This works pretty good but I want to improve HT. I have looked at Polk and PSB any insight would be great.

DerekF

Stunt Coordinator
I think the speakers appear to be the weakest link—esp. the Cerwin Vegas. I have PSB Image 5T’s & 9C across the front, and I am very happy with them—no experience with Polk though.

If I were you, I would replace the entire front stage with timbre matched mains and center speaker (leave the surrounds for another round of upgrading)

As for brands to listen to…there are dozens of excellent choices for each budget—it just comes down to your personal preference! Being a Canuck, I’m partial to the Paradigm Studio, PSB Image and Energy Take series (in descending order of cost).

You’ll likely get more helpful responses if you list your budget, room size and listening preferences (music/HT).

DaveJo

Auditioning
Budget around $1000. I would be willing to change both front and rear. Room size is odd 22x14 but is L shapped with the L area being 18x12

I like the PSB Alpha series. I was thinking about AlphaT and AlphaS. I was alittle confused by the Polks having such a broad freq range for all the ones I looked at.

Alex_P

Stunt Coordinator
I would upgrade the 2 front speakers to JBL mains. Get a better sub for the rest of your money... SVS, HSU or DIY sub. Peace...

Alex,

Eric_Bender

Agent
You could also look at getting a good used pair of Bostons, B&W or others on e-bay. The Boston VR series are great sounding speakers and can usually be had for under $1,000.

DaveJo

Auditioning
I'm leaning towards a couple combos..

(Polk)
R50 (front)
CSi40 (center)
FXi3 (rear)

(PSB)
Alpha T (front)
Alpha C (center)
Alpha S (rear)

in both I will keep the sub for now.

Any Comments?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks