1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Weakest Link

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Howard_S, Nov 18, 2001.

1. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

I have a question. If you have every video equipment (DVD, VCR) hooked up to your receiver then to your TV using the cheapest of composite cables, where would an S-video cable make the biggest difference? From the receiver to the TV? From the DVD player or VCR to the Receiver?
    I have good composite video interconnects right now and I want to put S-video in there now so I was wondering where to start first. Since I might end up buying different quality cables I was wondering where I should put most of my money on.

2. Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt Supporting Actor

Howard:
    1. If you are running these signals through your receiver, chances are it will NOT convert from one format to the other. So either you run all composite, all S-Video, or a mix - and two connections to the TV. If it will allow the latter... and even then, your TV will probably require those two lines to be on separate inputs, seriously denting the 'switching' capabilities of the receiver.
    2. In most cases, going to S-Video will improve things drastically. The exception is when your TV has an awesome filter AND the source is better in composite than S-Video. The latter is most likely only going to happen with certain laserdisc players.
    3. I would recommend - if you are intent on running through your receiver - to purchase all the S-Video cables needed together. They do not need to be $300 cables... Radio Shack will do fine. If you have a source that is only composite - most likely the VCR - then use the Radio Shack converter and change it to S-Video. Then hook up your receiver to the TV using S-Video.
    But by all means change the DVD player over first. IMHO it is wasted on VHS unless you have a really, really good player.
    Mike

3. Matthew Anderson

Matthew Anderson Second Unit

Matthew Anderson
    You will definitely notice a difference by using S-video cable. I have my S-video going directly from my dvd player to the tv and it works fine. You can go through your receiver if you want but that is the way I have my hooked up and the picture is great.
    ------------------

4. Howard_S

Well right now I have everything connected to the receiver. Is it better to have my DVD player hooked up to the TV for video instead of the receiver?
    What I plan to do is to connect everything through S-Video except for my VCR since it doesn't have S-Video. Is that okay? Or would getting a S-Video capable VCR make a drastic difference? I don't use my VCR much so it shouldn't make any difference right?
    Theoretically which is more important if your DVD player is connected to the receiver then to the TV. Good cable running from DVD to receiver or from the receiver to the TV. Or is both just as important?

5. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

6. Howard_S

Wow thanks a lot guys. That solves most of my problems. A question about the VCR. If I don't get a S-Video capable VCR the only effect I'll see is when I'm playing VHS tapes right? It won't affect anything else would it? I have digital cable. Digital cable box to VCR to TV. Just the coaxial cable will give me video but there are also video outputs on the box. Does it actually make a difference connected the digital cable box to the VCR using composite or S-video alongside the coaxial connection? And if so then I would see a difference when watching TV if I get a S-video capable VCR right?
    I plan to use Ultralink cables all around. I was going to buy bettercables but it's a more expensive option. Any thoughts on Ultralinks?

7. Mike Voigt

Go by Radio Shack and get one of their composite-to-SVideo doohickeys. You're not using the VCR all that much, and this will allow you to have everything S-Video.
    That at least is what I am doing. Everything is sent S-Video to my receiver, then from there to the TV. And that will continue until I finish programming my Pronto to change the TV and the receiver and the components as necessary.
    But then again, I have 7 sources hooked to it...
    Mike

8. Mike Voigt

Oh, the RS part number is 15-1238. $20.00.
    Go to their product catalog, then Video category, then select Splitter/Combiner group. It is the 5th entry on that page.
    Unfortunately the URL is phenomenally long and will not work, otherwise I'd give you a link.
    Mike
    [Edited last by Mike Voigt on November 18, 2001 at 10:43 PM]

9. Howard_S

Does the composite to S-video converter give a better picture? Can I find these kind of converters in other audio/video stores?

Even though I have heard a lot of good things about Radio Shack cables, I don't trust them so I think I'll go with something else.

10. Mike Voigt

No, it won't give you a better picture. But it will allow you to just have everything S-Video at the receiver so you don't need to run multiple hookups for video!

RS Gold cables are fine; I use a ton in my system, never had a problem with them.

I do not know if the Composite -> S-Video converter is available anywhere else; mine has been in the system for over a year with no problems...

Mike