Weak subwoofer performance- help!

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by David Galindo, Dec 2, 2003.

1. David Galindo

David Galindo Screenwriter

OK, here's the deal. My reciever has one subwoofer output. I connected a Y-splitter cable (Monster Standard) to the output so that I could hook two sub cables to it (Monster Cable THX Standard). Im running two subs at once, with one outputting major bass, and the other very quiet for some reason. Even when I turn the sub volume on the weak one all the way up, its quiet (but works). Both subs are almost the same (Sony active 75-watt).

Whats wrong? Is there another way to hook up the second sub without splitting the connection? (Running the speakers through the sub wont work due to the mess of cables).

2. Joe Wilmore

Joe Wilmore Stunt Coordinator

It is probably a phase issue.

3. David Galindo

Ooooook, so what do I do? (Im kinda new to technical HT terms)

4. Joe DC

Joe DC Agent

Do you have the Y cable hooked to the receiver or the 'first' sub? Do you also have the subs firing at each other? Try placing the Y cable in the input of the first sub and then run your sub cable towards your 2nd sub. Also, try switching the phase of the subs so that they are opposite. If not, try repositioning your subs. They may be cancelling each other as mentioned earlier.

5. David Galindo

The Y cable is coming out of the reciever. Both subs are about 3 feet away from each other. Ill try to switch it out and tell you what happens. Thanks!

6. DavidLW

DavidLW Stunt Coordinator

Well almost the same and exactly the same are worlds apart. Things to look for

Are both subs the same impedence? 4 or 8 ohms?

Are both subs crossed over at the same frequncy? If the slope is adjustable, do they have the same slope?

Do the amps in the subs have the same sensitivity?

Do they have the same size driver? 10", 12" etc.

Are you running the same length of cable between the receiver and each sub?

If you switch the subs around (leave the cable alone), do the loud up stay the loud one or do they switch?

If you disconnect the loud one, do the soft one get louder?

Connect each sub to the receiver one at a time, without the y splitter and see how each sub perform. Is there a difference?

For your second question. If the subs have their own crossover and you have pre-amp out for the front channels (L&R) on your receiver. Then you can use them to run the subs. Your receiver must have output to these even when driving it's own amp. And you will not be able to control the subs with your remote. They will respond to any changes to the front channel.

7. David Galindo

I have tried all those things, and it finally fixed when I moved one to a different location & switched the Y splitter.

Thanks!