1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Weak Audio problem

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Alex Dudek, Sep 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Alex Dudek

Alex Dudek Auditioning

Alex Dudek
    The setup is a Yamaha RX-A2010 AV receiver (7 x 140 watts), Tivo Roamio Plus, Samsung 8550 (65" 4K), 5 Martin Logan Speakers (SL3, Motion 15, Motion 30) and a Monster sub. HDMI is being used to connect the Tivo to the Yamaha.

The problem is that watching movies on the Tivo requires the Yamaha volume to be cranked up excessively -5 to the point where I am concerned about cooling problems during a 90 minute movie.

2. David Willow

David Willow Babbling Idiot
    Supporter

Dave
    Did you setup your speakers with an SPL meter or a microphone that shipped with the Yamaha (assuming one came with - I'm not familiar with Yamaha)? If you did, then your speakers are setup to be at "reference" level when you hit "0" on the dial. At "-5" you are still 5 DB below this. Your system should have more than enough power to go beyond this (assuming your room is typical - not HUGE).

If you haven't setup the speakers properly, then it could be a number of things. I wouldn't be too concerned about cooling (assuming your receiver has room to breathe). Just be aware it will get warm so proper ventilation is important.

3. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    To add to what David stated (and it would help if you answer his questions) there are a lot of variables to volume levels with a surround receiver. I know it probably sounds wrong, but the volume level (-5) you set isn't a very good indication of how much power is being used and how much heat is being generated. For instance, the level of all the speakers in your speaker setup could be 10dB higher, which would mean that the same playback level would be achieved at -15 rather than -5 on the volume control. The heat generated would be the same, even though it seems like the playback level is 10 lower.

Do you have other sources than the Tivo? Do you use a different volume level for them? If so, the Tivo might have a volume control for the audio on its output, and it might be turned down. Some receivers also have volume adjustments (trim level) for individual inputs.

4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I also have Tivo (but not the Roamio). There is no volume level control on my Tivo box, but in the settings menu you do need to make sure you have selected Dolby Audio rather than PCM, and that Default Audio Program is set to Main Audio Program (stereo), rather than mono or SAP.

Is the Input Trim on the Yamaha set to a lower level? Or some other setting specific to that input on the AVR?