What's new

WE WERE SOLDIERS trailer now online!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Kenneth English

Second Unit
Check it out: http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramo...were_soldiers/
I'm especially interested in this one after reading the book (which is exellent, BTW).
Personal trivia: My dad served as a clerk under Lt. Gen. Hal Moore (at the time, LTC Moore) at Fort Benning, GA in 1963-1965. He was released to go back to school at the end of July, 1965 and so barely missed being sent to Vietnam but he was friends with a lot of the guys who fought and died at Ia Drang. You can imagine his interest in this one is intense.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I came across it after checking out the very cool trailer for Minority Report:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramo...were_soldiers/
This one left me kinda cold. Yeah, it's full of all the patriotism and bravado one would expect from the writer of Braveheart and The Patriot...but I'm not sure I mean that as a compliment. :)
Either way, Madeline Stowe is in it, and that's a good thing.

(Oops, just saw another thread for this trailer! Sorry.)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Wow, first time I have ever heard of this. It looks awesome! And yes, it is a compliment, I loved Braveheart and The Patriot.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Braveheart and The Patriot were written by two different writers. Randall Wallace and Robert Rodat, respectively.

And, I'm with Jeff. Sounds like it's in good company. Wallace had a misstep (IMO) with Pearl Harbor, but this one could be good.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
After seeing the trailer, hopefully this won't be another manipulative, historically inacurrate Mel Gibson film along the same lines as The Patriot.

~Edwin

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
A common complaint (of people who have reviewed it) is that it does not "question" the war. It is a heroic Vietnam movie. The timeframe makes the complaint somewhat hollow, in that we had not gained the introspection and cynicism the later years of the war brought at the time this film takes place. It was the U.S.'s first conflict of the war.

While I love Braveheart, The Patriot left me a little blase. I am fairly skeptical of this one, but I'd love to be surprised. Coming after BHD is unfortunate, but I'll see it and hope for the best.

Take care,

Chuck

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I'm in the same boat as you Chuck. I'd love to be surprised by it, but after the Patriot, I might have to wait till it hits the dollar theaters.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I was eagerly awaiting this film until I saw the trailer. It looks a little to much like The Patriot, which I hated.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Braveheart and The Patriot were written by two different writers. Randall Wallace and Robert Rodat, respectively.
Thanks for the correction. For some reason, I always seem to tie The Patriot to Randall Wallace. (Could it be painfully gung-ho Mel Gibson or the pedantic scripting?) :D

todd stone

Screenwriter
im nervous actually for this one, i want it to be so good.

Everytime he says "we will RIDE into battle, and this will be our horse" I cringe......

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
Every time I hear that little girl say, "daddy, what is a war?" I cringe. (in a BAD way)

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
Scott, I had a feeling that I would be after seeing the trailer. Did you post your review yet?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Whatever, Scott writes I will see for myself anyway because film enjoyment is so subjective in regard to individual taste. If Scott's opinion turns out to be very negative and I end up agreeing with it then what I want to know is how did they screw up this film based on such a good book?

Crawdaddy

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Whatever, Scott writes I will see for myself anyway because film enjoyment is so subjective in regard to individual taste.
Which is precisely the way it should be, Robert! I don't write reviews to help bend people's will to my own opinions!
Having said that, yes I've seen We Were Soldiers. I am not familiar with the source material at all, so I can't comment on how "close" to the book it is.
However, I highly doubt that the book is as chest-thumping, flag-waving, teeth-baring, cliche-ridden and schmaltz-intensive as this ponderous, tedious and eye-rollingly cornpone movie is. We Were Soliders is like a "War Flick Greatest Clichés" album.
Unlike lots of movie critics, when I trash a movie I almost always hope that people disagree with me. Just because I disliked this one, that doesn't mean I want others to feel the same way!
Needless to say, I'll be very curious to see all your opinions once the movie opens and I'll (of course) let you all know when my full review is up!

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I'll see it eventually, but I won't pay $8.50 for it. The trailer is enough to convince me that this film will not be good. If this film ends up being to much like the Patriot, I will most likely hate We Were Soldiers. But, I'll make up my mind AFTER I see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks