What's new

We were soldiers looks good. (1 Viewer)

ThomasWall

Auditioning
Just finished watching the We were soldiers dvd. Thought I'd recommend it because it looked and sounded really good. Great surround sound, lot's of rumble:) Picture quality looked a bit grainy at times. Not sure if that's intended but it probably is. Colors really stood out. The green of the jungle looked really amazing. Too bad there really isn't any interesting special features. But I guess a good movie is all you need. I know this isn't supposed to be released until Aug 20 but sometimes there are benefits of living in a non region 1 country. It is of course the region 1 version I looked at.

BobG

Stunt Coordinator
I can't wait for this DVD! How is Randall Wallace's commentary?
This is the best film of 2002:emoji_thumbsup:

Brett C

Second Unit
As far as special features go this is yet another Paramount release that doesn't contain a theatrical trailer on the disc which is quickly becoming second nature to them....

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
Can't say where/how I saw it just yet, but I watched this DVD recently and it looked pretty damned sweet, and sounded just as nice, too. Despite the sentimental irritations in the script, I'll still pick up this fine war movie.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
As far as special features go this is yet another Paramount release that doesn't contain a theatrical trailer on the disc which is quickly becoming second nature to them....
Orange County, Crossroads - Special Collector's Edition, Clockstoppers, Fatal Attraction, Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius are some of the new releases from Paramount that have theatrical trailers.

Paramount Home Entertainment just doesn't include the trailer if they can't clear the music used in it.

Unless you want changed music in the trailer a la Pearl Harbor.

Brett C

Second Unit
yeah I'm sure go to any site that shows a scan of the backcover like DVD Empire and look for yourself...And on the comment about their trailers for every 5 that have them there is another 5 that get released that don't have them,specially when it comes to their catalogue discs.And the whole reason this annoys me is because they still charge 25 bucks and have stuff all on their discs.I'm not impressed by EPK stuff...Money for value wise their extra's content seriously lacks compared to what the other studio's do with their DVD's In my opinion. And when I get a Paramount DVD I know not to expect much extraswise but would at least like the trailer and if they have a music clearance problem consistently than their marketing department should think about lifting music from their own catalogue and not someone elses...lol

ThomasWall

Auditioning
Can confirm that there is no trailer. In fact no trailers at all. Actually some decent features anyway although it didn't seem like it at first.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad to hear this DVD turned out well. I'm looking forward to it. The audio should be great. I enjoyed this one much more than the overrated "Black Hawk Down" that came out around the same time. Unlike BHD this one actually spent some time on the characters so you cared about them.
:emoji_thumbsup:

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
This and Windtalkers were both very good movies. I can't understand why Windtalkers didn't pull any business when it came out. In fact, Windtalkers was probably slightly better, but just barely. 2002 has really had some excellent war movies, not classics, but great nonetheless including these two and Hart's War.
Thomas, can you tell us what some of the deleted scenes are? I could always use more of Sam Elliot's character.

ThomasWall

Auditioning
David.

Looked briefly at the deleted scenes. Had pretty bad quality and not so good sound. There is about nine of them I think. There was a pretty cool one with Sam Elliot and Barry Pepper that took place at the end of the massive attack when Barry Pepper has a rifle. We get to see him hang up the camera in the tree which he later collects. Sam Elliot shoot's a dying soldier in the back that Pepper can't finish off. Couple of other decent scenes. One with Greg Kinnear and his fellow pilot, the character called Too-tall. Also had one with Mel Gibson being debrefied by Gen Westmoreland. All in all not a bad set of scenes.

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
I thought this movie was so-so, but I really liked Sam Elliot's Sergeant-Major character, he was just badass. My wife's a Mel Gibson nut, so I'm sure to have this one when it comes out.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
sound is set low.
no trailer.

why do they NEVER clean up the blood spatter on camera scenes EVER?

totally detracts from the intended realism.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks