What's new

We Were Soldiers DVD-and Paramount..... (1 Viewer)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I can't believe this is going to be just another everyday cheapo Paramount release with no promise of one of their very few special editions.

Anyone think paramount will ever look to the others, like dreamworks, and start changing how they do their dvds? Hell, look to anyone except WB and you could learn a lot.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
Huh? I thought this was a special edition, at least of sorts? It has a commentary, DD 5.1EX track and some making of material and, of course, what should be another excellent anamorphic transfer (going on Paramount's previous efforts). I don't see that many recent films getting the 2-DVD treatment and, when many of them do, it ends up being more puff than stuff (Shrek, The Others). I say: bring it on.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
I don't see this title as being part of Paramount Home Entertainment's "Special Collector's Editions."

It could just be one of Paramount's standard added-value DVD releases without any labels.

You do get a hi-def 16:9 transfer in the OAR(BEAT THAT DISNEY!)
You do get Dolby Digital EX(A first for PHE)

You also get...

Audio Commentary with director Randall Wallace
Deleted Scenes
"Getting It Right" featurette(If you watch the featurettes included on many PHE titles, you'll know they edit them well with great information and little fluff)

And when PHE does two disc sets...they make sure the second disc is worth the effort. Forrest Gump, Star Trek: The Motion Picture - The Director's Edition, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - The Director's Edition.

AND when they included bonus materials...they make sure these are worth a viewing. Great featurettes, some great audio commentaries, and even a few surprises.

Jonathan_

Second Unit
As long as the picture and sound are top notch I'll be happy. I don't buy DVDs for the extras, I buy them for the better picture and sound. Extra features are just that, extras. Die Hard is my favorite movie, but how many times have I pulled out the 2nd disc? Once, the day I bought it. While I watch the movie on a regular basis. But hey thats just me.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
For those who haven't seen it yet, here is the cover art: Link Removed

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
When is it coming out?
8/20/02 according to DVDFILE
Coming to DVD on 8/20 from Paramount Home Entertainment. Presented in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen with an official Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround EX mix and a 2.0 surround option, extras include an audio commentary with director Randall Wallace, the "Getting It Right" featurette, 10 deleted scenes with optional commentary, and the trailer. Retail is $29.95.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
That's a lot of material to stick on one disc...hope there isn't an issue with space.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Paramount puts just enough special features on the disc, but not too much. They do the expected ammt. Nothing more or less.
Now as long as their picture and sound quality stay within their current standards, this disc will be great. Paramount makes some of the best looking discs out there.(Vanilla Sky)

MickB

Agent
Great another DDex disc! I hope this turns out to be a reference disc for picture and sound.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
MickB, I second that! I sure hope this disc doesnt turn out with a wimpy soundtrack.

I really liked this movie. Im sure we all did.

Martin Blythe

Second Unit
Well, since Steve Tk started this thread, perhaps he would be so good as to explain what he's complaining about.

Our challenge is to get a new release loaded up in time to make our date. There's usually a fairly short turnaround time for titles where the VHS goes into a rental window and many DVDs will also be rented.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I do agree with others that the most important thing is the movie itself. As long as they release the movies soon enough, I’m happy. I love special features also and see them more than once (if they are good like the “Beginning” documentary) but yet again the movie is more important. Personally I prefer an early movie only DVD than a late DVD with features.

I also think one of the greatest ideas was done with the Matrix. The idea that they don’t have to sell the features with the movie. They could sell the extra features as a separate DVD like the Matrix. They can release a movie only DVD soon and at the same time or later release the documentaries without forcing the people to buy the movie again. I think this is the best option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks