we should make a list of bass benchmarks for discussing equipment :)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris PC, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

For instance, it would be nice to have a whole range of tracks that have music or sound effect content in specific known frequency ranges. For instance, the Phantom Menace Pod Race, The THX intro, other movies. What I'm asking is, is there a way we could put together a list of parts of tracks of songs or parts of movies AND the frequencies. I know there's been listings here when people ask questions, but this sort of thing should become part of a language or vocabulary here.

Too many times I see people discussing what they like or don't like about speakers, subwoofers and other equipment and commenting on what they like, what sounds better, what improved or worsened the sound but each person isn't even refering to what program material they are talking about. If there was a distinct list here, we could refer to it and compare each others results both in terms of how it sounds and the actual frequency response. It would be handy even if not everybody measures their frequency response in their room. At least you could comment on how your equipment sounds using a specific peice of program material and then suggestions and comparisons would make more sense.

Can we make a list of this sort here?

2. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

For instance, SVS has a great list of DVD movies and music tracks:
    http://www.svsubwoofers.com/faq.htm#moviedemos
    So all we would need is a spectral analysis of the bass to know what frequencies are dominant in each scene or track. I think it would help to discuss things this way. Anyone agree? Especially when people are trying to see how low their subwoofer go etc etc. and to tune their setups in their rooms and blend with the rest of their speakers. Also, when people ask questions like this:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=59265
    Its nice to hear all the examples of program material with low bass content, but lets add the frequencies to them too [​IMG]