"We reserve the right to refuse. . .

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Leila Dougan, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

payment of more than $1.00 in change."

Today while visiting my local university's parking and transportation department office, I saw this sign hung on the cash registers. This department issues parking citations and the fee is to be paid at this office.

If I receive a citation and show up to pay it, but my payment includes $3.00 in quarters, can they legally refuse my payment?

2. Neil M

Neil M Stunt Coordinator

I'm pretty sure that as long as it's legal tender, they have to accept it. Funny thing about signs, they always seem to be written by idiots....

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

there was another thread pretty recently on the same subject but on the other end, bills larger than a $20

I think the outcome was that they don't HAVE to accept anything.

4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    From the US Treasury FAQ:

So unless state law says otherwise, any business or organization is free to dictate what forms of cash are acceptable as payment as they wish.

5. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

They're only doing that cause university parking and transportation (for all universities) are a bunch of jerks.

6. Leila Dougan

7. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I'd go out and get a stack of one dollar coins and use them. That might be fun!?

Glenn

8. CaseyLS

CaseyLS Second Unit

Just flip on them and walk in with a hundred dollar bill to pay your fine. Just face it, members of university staff are heartless bastards who apply rules whenever and however they wish. Trust me I have had to deal with a certain department on campus and even though I presented no less then five pieces of evidence to support my point they wouldn't follow what they said. Hell, the person I had most of my dealings with was the author of most of my evidence.

P.S. Bastards

9. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

10. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

11. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> I realize that $3 worth of change may not seem like a lot, but imagine accepting $3 in quarters from 100 students, that's 1,200 quarters.

If you went to any store and paid for a $3 item in quarters, they wouldn't complain one bit. Even if you paid with 300 pennies they might grumble but would probably take them.

> Actually they probably posted the sign after soms student jerk decided to pay a fine in pennies just to "get back" at the office that handles the fine - and thereby wasted the time of a lot of underpaid clerks

Wasted the time? Aren't the clerks paid by the hour, regardless of how busy they are? If I go to the bank to cash in my pennies for bills, am I wasting the teller's time?

And what does the clerk's pay have to do with their job of collecting money? If the clerks made $50/hour, would it be ok to pay them in pennies?

The way to "get back" at someone who wants to pay with all pennies is to make them wait for you to count them before giving them the receipt that proves they paid the ticket. Then they can start worrying about whether they'll get another fine for not paying, since they won't be able to prove they did if they leave without getting the receipt.

The anti-student attitude in this thread is amazing. Most of these parking programs are a revenue grab anyway. When I was in college we had to pay for parking stickers, yet there weren't nearly enough spaces on campus. I don't mean conveniently-located spaces, just total number of spaces. If I have to pay for parking, they should create enough spaces to meet the demand. If I go to a private parking garage that's full, they don't take my money & say that's tough- they either turn me away before I pay or they give me a refund when I tell them there are no spaces.

Why is there a charge for the sticker anyway? Except a few students that lived on campus, everyone had to drive to get there & needed to park. All the money spent on tuition, books, meals, junk fees, etc is not enough for them.

A few months ago I went to a college to buy something at the bookstore & actually had to pay to park. I could not believe it that a visitor going to a store for a few minutes had to pay for parking. Barnes & Noble doesn't charge for parking. These colleges seem to think they're above it all & get away with things no private business can.

Before somebody in Manhattan says it's common to charge for parking, it's not around here, except downtown in large cities, or in parking garages, theme parks, stadium lots & the like.

12. wally

wally Second Unit

13. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

14. MarkHastings

15. MarkHastings

16. Neil M

Neil M Stunt Coordinator

I have no problem with them not wanting to accept change. They have the legal right to do so. I think most students vent their frustration out because it is unfair to have meters at every parking spot. We pay it because we have to. Can you imagine going to a Best Buy and seeing meters everywhere. No one would go anymore. We can't do that. We have to pay because we need to get to class. To say that the university is not taking advantage of students is ridiculous. There is no need for name calling but the point is very clear. The fact is that this policy is aimed at those students who get a kick out of making other's jobs more difficult. And that's a fair policy.

17. Leila Dougan

Well, this thread has certainly gotten interesting.

I'm not bashing my university, I'm only questioning it's policies. A couple of my thoughts:

- At my school, it *is* a money grab. There aren't enough parking spaces and the lot I supposedly have a permit to park in is several miles away.

- It costs $2.00 for a visitor to park and visit the bookstore for 1/2 hour, which I think is ridiculous. But, since the lot is almost always full, nothing's going to change.

- I understand that many students do things to annoy the department *because* they know it's a money grab. I'm not talking parking tickets (which you should get if you parked illegally), I'm talking about their policies in general. I don't condone paying your fine in pennies because that certainly is obnoxious.

- I have done absolutely nothing wrong. The school took my money and has failed to give me a permit. I paid them over a month ago and my permit was supposedly mailed to my home address (they don't give permits out in person). I have to visit their office every week to renew my temporary permit while they investigate whether I'm trying to con them into giving me another permit.

I'm mostly irked at the fact that I had to pay all this money and have been hassled for the last month. I have no place to park and should legally be able to. Fines typically run $10-$15, so it's not like we're talking about huge amounts of change here.

So I will reiterate my question:

Is the fact that I have to pay a fine make them a creditor and me a debtor, so that they have to accept any legal tender, or does this fall into the category of sale of products/services and if so, how?

18. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Ride a bike

[​IMG]

19. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

I think in any financial transaction, the payee has the right to dictate what forms of payment are acceptable from the payer.

I think the service/retail example was just highlighted in the Treasury FAQ because that's what most of the questions were about (i.e. stores not taking large bills). I don't think the type of transaction really makes any difference, everyone in a position of accepting payments is free to set their own restrictions.

20. Mark Schermerhorn

Mark Schermerhorn Second Unit