What's new

We refinished our Kitchen Cabinets (DIY style) (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Over the last 31 days my wife and I completely refinished our kitchen cabinets. From a Golden Oak color to a Moorish Teak.

It was a long process and quite time consuming but the results are awesome, we love the final outcome, a nice and dark color like all the other furniture in our house.

We took all the doors off, hardware and all and focused on the framework first. We stripped them twice, applied two coats of stain and then two coats of a clear coat. Then we did the same process for the backs of the doors and then the fronts. We sprayed the last coat of clear on the fronts yesterday and hung all the doors on this morning.

The before

The after

Kevin T

Screenwriter
pretty swank, ron. the contrast with the appliances / counter top gives a nice touch.

i'm in the process of busting my back and knees putting in laminate flooring. should be finished tomorrow afternoon. then tack up the baseboards, quarter-round, and slap on a fresh coat of high gloss latex paint.

redecorating is a major pain in the ass, but the end result is always worth it.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Thanks Kevin. Our next project is to replace the countertop with a tan color to soften the contrast, everything else will stay white. I don't care much for stainless appliances and black would be way too much dark so the white works the best. Plus, I'm not dropping $4k+ to replace all the appliances anyway.

After the counter top, like you, we'll be doing new flooring in the kitchen, living room, hallway and bathroom. We're going to go with a stone/rock type floor. All DIY of course.

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
ACK. Golden Oak is my favorite "color" wood so I like the before better : )

It does look good though.

I'm a rookie homeowner but wouldn't changing out the handles on the cabinets look better?

Since I'm nitpicking..... (:D) I think you should get a mini-blind that matches your wall color. (or cabinet color) ????

Edit: You know....after re-looking at the pictures.... the color the cabinets are now does look a lot better.
With your wall color they look better darker. :)

Armando Zamora

Second Unit
Real Name
aromaz odnamra
Nice job Ron. If you don't mind me asking...how much did it set you back. My wife wants to "update" our kitchen. I'm totally against getting new cabinets as the current ones are perfectly fine and provide sufficient storing space. Our options are refacing or restaining. Obviously, restaining will be less expensive, but I'd like to see how much more less expensive than refacing. I've priced out refacing our cabinets which I've estimated to be around $4k. Like you, I'm a DIYer, so thankfully (hopefully), I'll being saving some dough-rei-me with this project.

Again, nice work.

mylan

Screenwriter
I think it is a major improvement, I have never been a fan of light wood finishes. I would consider changing the door hardware as well, what my builders called cabinentry "jewelry". Brushed nickel would look nice with that finish.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Thanks guys.

Armando, total cost was about $400, but, $100 of that was for an HPLV spray gun.

As for the door hardware, we are not planning on changing it. It's hard to see in those pics but they are black with a nickel splashed all over them so they do look much better then what you see here.

It is dark which not too many people like but we love it and are so happy with the results.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Looks great Ron. :emoji_thumbsup:

Does 'Moorish Teak' mean black?

Are you keeping the green paint?

What does 'HPLV' mean? I take it you were satisfied with the spray gun. The wife is eventually going to get her way I'm gonna have to do some serious painting. I've never used a gun.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Very very nice, Ron. Love the palm tree border around the counter tops. Very fun. :emoji_thumbsup:

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Looks pretty good....however I too am a fan of the lighter woods in the kitchen ("before" looked great actually)....hopefully you plan to live in that house as long time..as a near black kitchen MAY turn off some folks if ya sell the house...black with white appliances just screams "yep we have WHITE APPLIANCES!" :eek: :laugh:

Good job overall though.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Thanks everyone!

We plan to give the house to our daughter so we will most likely never sell, and she likes the color. But, repainting the green to an earth tone medium brown will help with the contrast issue.

We may also contact Whrilpool and look into a darker face plate for the dishwasher, not sure what color we'd go with though. It is just a thought at this point. One step at a time.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
It looks great. We used to have dark cabinets in our south facing kitchen which actually helped keep it from getting too bright in there. Now that we're in the Pacific Northwest we're sticking with lighter colors as we need all the help we can get during the long, dark winter months. In SoCal you certainly shouldn't have that problem.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Thanks Michael.

Well, it seems time to change the wall color. Between the dark cabinets and dark walls there's too much dark and not enough light. We found this tan color which seems to blend well with the cabinets and appliances / countertop.

We're still looking but haven't found anything better yet.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Other then a few decor items we are done.

We repainted the walls, still keeping with the green. I put up a 5/8" plywood border around the counter and then added the new wallpaper with a crown molding along the top stained to match the cabinets. We also found some matching palm tree shelf liner for all the interiors of the cabinets.

I also replaced all the outlets from white to brown, while the brown looks ok my wife decided to match up the wallpaper border and cover one. The result is below, this week she will do the other three, it looks so much better with them covered.

It's been a long process and a lot of work but we did it all and love the final result.

As for the wall plates, from this...

To this...

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Other then a few decor items we are done.

We repainted the walls, still keeping with the green. I put up a 5/8" plywood border around the counter and then added the new wallpaper with a crown molding along the top stained to match the cabinets. We also found some matching palm tree shelf liner for all the interiors of the cabinets.

I also replaced all the outlets from white to brown, while the brown looks ok my wife decided to match up the wallpaper border and cover one. The result is below, this week she will do the other three, it looks so much better with them covered.

It's been a long process and a lot of work but we did it all and love the final result.

As for the wall plates, from this...

To this...

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
Dude that is sweet. I have to give you guys credit for taking the time to do things like this. It really looks great.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
well you've been a busy bee haven't you, ron. that paint looks great with the cabinets. much better than the previous green. the wallplate is awesome too. i don't think i'd have enough patience to try to match it.

kevin t

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Thanks guys, a lot of work indeed but we could not be happier with the out come.

Users who are viewing this thread