What's new

We need Coppola do finally issue the Godfather Epic on Blu Ray or UHD. It was released on Laserdisc and needs to be made available on the newer forma (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I would love to see the story told chronologically. I missed the opportunity when it was on VHS and Laserdisc. I kind of doubt we will see it released again on modern media. The studio will certainly just release all three movies separately, but I do realize there is a market for the chronological version.

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
I love the chronological order of the first two films, still have the VHS set. I really hope that they get released on Blu as they give a different experience to the three individual films.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I've seen the chronological version. Never much cared for it. Yes, there's some extra footage, but it's not the Part II that won the 1974 Academy Award for best picture. Part II's charm was the juxtaposition of the young and old Vito. This is completely lost when presented in chronological order. It needs to be seen as it was first released. The genius of it is lost. Anyway, Coppola only did it for the money. Would "Pulp Fiction" work as well in chronological order?

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Watching Godfather chronologically is exactly like watching Star Wars in Episode order: Who the heck's story IS this anyway, Luke's, or Anakin's?

Or, in Godfather's case, if we start with Robert DeNiro and go all the way to the end of Part III, is the arc of the trilogy about Vito Corleone, or Michael?

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
I've brought this up a number of times over the years. Can't believe Paramount hasn't reissued these since the 90s, if just to milk a few extra drops from "Godfather" fans. There were ultimately 2 editions of this miniseries format-version: A chronological re-edit (w/ new footage) of the first two films which premiered in 1977, and later a chronological re-edit (w/ new footage) of all three films which premiered in 1992. Both versions have received high marks from various critics.

For more info:

CC95

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
I've seen the chronological version. Never much cared for it. Yes, there's some extra footage, but it's not the Part II that won the 1974 Academy Award for best picture. Part II's charm was the juxtaposition of the young and old Vito. This is completely lost when presented in chronological order. It needs to be seen as it was first released. The genius of it is lost. Anyway, Coppola only did it for the money. Would "Pulp Fiction" work as well in chronological order?
Remember when they recut ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA in chronological order?
44066DD7-8AC8-4061-9498-E0AE471744BD.gif

WinstonCely

Second Unit
Real Name
Winston Cely
I wouldn't be surprised if they're going to wait and see how sales of the recut third installment do before they spend more money on the mini-series version. Having just gotten to Boardwalk Empire (yes, I'm super late to that party) I'd be down for a mini-series version of The Godfather story.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
They don’t need to spend any more money. The two different chronological versions have already been mastered in HD and shown on television. The “A Novel For Television” four part miniseries version aired on AMC. The “Complete Epic” single part version originally created for home video aired on HBO.

It’s not a matter of money; they’re not on disc because they’re not Coppola’s preferred versions. Either the studio is showing deference to him by not putting them out on disc, or he has a contractual right to determine their release. Whatever the scenario, it’s not an accident or an oversight that they’re not on disc.

Alpal

Auditioning
Real Name
Alan Bond
We need Coppola do finally issue the Godfather Epic on Blu Ray or UHD. It was released on Laserdisc and needs to be made available on the newer formats.
I totally agree. I have the Epic on VHS (full frame, mono) and transferred it to DVD. I find it fascinating and does no injustice to the seperate films. Nothing is written or filmed in stone.

It's about a family who start from a small beginning and grow into a business family over the decades. It's about the times and the changes wrought...the rights and wrongs of a way of life. I think it works well chronological.

I do have the individual Blu-rays of each film, but would certainly go for the Epic, remastered, 16:9 widescreen 1.78, DTS5.1. Currently the version I have runs 6 hours 45mins and a marathon session. But, gosh, it's terrific!

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
The restored versions of the three GODFATHER films were available in the U.K. several years ago (4 blurays)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks