We need a Gamecube Magazine!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Cameron Seaman, Apr 4, 2002.

1. Cameron Seaman

Cameron Seaman Supporting Actor

I occasionally like to read gaming magazines and my console of choice is the Nintendo Gamecube.
    PS2 gamers have a great mag in PSM, the unofficial Playstaion magazine plus an official PS mag.
    X-Box gamers have had an official mag since launch and just got a new unofficial mag published by Ziff-Davis.
    Gamecube gamers have...uh...well...Nintendo Power. Don't get me wrong, I have a whole collection of NPs sitting in my closet that i've gathered over the years. But that was a long time ago. I stopped reading NP right around the 100th issue, and now that I'm back into gaming, NP just doesnt cut it for me for obvious reasons.
    And now that the great Next-Generation had left us, the only thing that intrests me is Electronic Gaming Monthly.
    Are there any Gamecube mags on the horizon? I'd love to see a nice Unofficial Gamecube magazine in the humorous style of PSM or even the serious approach of Next-Generation.
    Hopefully with the release of Resident Evil and Eternal Darkness we'll get something outside of Nintendo Power.

2. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

I got subs to EGM and GamePro, they've done a pretty good job so far covering the Gamecube.

3. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

Speaking of EGM, I found this link (through DVD Talk) which will allow you to get a free six-month subscription to it. According to the site, the free subscription is courtesy of Toys 'R' Us/Amazon.com. You do not have to list your credit card information for the free subscription, just your name and address.
    https://www.zdmcirc.com/offers/spoffers.asp?LK=TOYSRUS
    (MODS: If this is inappropriate for the HTF, please delete--As far as I know, it should be OK.)
    As far as the exclusive Nintendo mag stuff goes, I don't have any problem with Nintendo Power, other than the fact that its written for third-graders. Save NextGen, I feel all of the video game mags are pretty juvenile. But NP's about as official as it is going to get, and it covers the Game Boy Advance, which is also relevant to the Cube as more GBA/Cube link games come out.
    The only thing I'd like to see is an official demo disc of some kind. The PS2/PSX mag has got one, the XBox mag has got one, and Nintendo Power should do one, too. I understand that they couldn't do it with cartridges, but since the Cube is disc-based, it shouldn't be too much of a problem for them to put out a demo. I'd love to get a disc in the mail every month with all of the new and upcoming games on it--I'd love to have demos of Resident Evil, Star Fox, and Eternal Darkness to check out until the real games get here.
    -mwb-

4. Cameron Seaman

Cameron Seaman Supporting Actor

Thanks for the link Matt! I signed up. Looks like the total deal was 1 1/2 years for $14.95. Not bad.

5. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I don't think we really need a GameCube magazine. I would rather get a high quality magazine that covers all the consoles than a fanboy biased magazine about just one console (PSM and OPM are really not that biased, but most of the others are). Also, I find that the console specific mags are made for money, not because they are actually good. Some of them actually suck or have sucked.

A GCN mag would be a neat idea if it was done right, but I don't think we actually need one.

6. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    Damn I miss Next Generation! I still have the issue where my name was printed along with other subscribers. Those were the days...