1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

We have wish lists, but what's on your dump list?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Cameron Yee, Mar 27, 2019.

1. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    Same here.

Whenever I buy new dvds/blurays at nearby wallyworld (hardly any place else still carries dvds), in the car I open up the packages to see whether the correct discs are present. Even before I turn on key ignition on the car. A few times, there was the wrong disc inside the dvd (or bluray) package, such as two copies of the same disc in multi-disc set and a missing disc.

2. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    That's the story with me and a lot of stuff that was on my shelf, and that stuff wound up being fairly easy to let go.

When I had culled the first round of discs, and then was working on upgrading DVDs to either BDs or HD digital copies, my wife was noticing the titles being added to our AppleTV, and finally she asked me, "Why did you buy a digital copy of that?" And I realized that in more than once instance, I didn't have a good answer. The DVD had sat on my shelf for 15 years without being touched; maybe it was never watched in the first place. I had vague memories of liking the movie when I had seen it once decades ago. And once she pointed that out, I started getting pickier about which stuff was being upgraded vs. just let go. For any major studio title that's readily available and has been in print non-stop, I've tried to stop feeling obligated to keep it in my collection forever just because it was once in there.

I have to be cautious now that I'm about to begin ripping discs for my HTPC experiment. Hard drive space is cheap, which might encourage me to never get rid of anything. I have a feeling that there will be some discs that I'll pull from the shelf in preparation of adding them to the hard drive, and then will realize that I can probably just get rid of the disc entirely without keeping a copy.

It all comes back to, what's the point of your collection? And there's a different answer for all of us. My collection was started with the answer to that question being, "So I can watch my favorite movies in the quality I want at my convenience," but in the past five years or so, what's on my shelf is more than my favorites... it's turned into "this is a record of everything I've seen" and that's silly. I mean, I was at a point where I was going to the movie theaters, seeing a movie, not loving the movie, and still buying a disc copy -- that made absolutely no sense and I'm glad I realized it and stopped doing it.

When I had a smaller collection where each thing in it was meaningful to me, it made me happy to see those things on the shelf. I'm glad that I've realized that having a larger collection with things that aren't meaningful to me doesn't bring me an extra joy, and I'm looking forward to getting back to having my collection be about what's important to me. And I have a feeling it'll be more fun to look at a smaller shelf and to see it as a reflection of what my favorites are, and not just a reflection of what I've watched in recent years.

benbess likes this.
  3. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    My way around this same issue, is to only use my HTPC for tv shows on dvd and various long running movie franchises. Primarily playing episodes in the background when I'm at home during the day (such as working from home) and I don't feel like watching star trek reruns all day.

I don't really bother watching one-shot movies on the computer. Basically if I'm not willing to watch a movie on my standalone bluray player with my full attention, then I'll probably never watch the dvd/bluray disc again. Ripping the latter the computer, would be completely superfluous to me.

4. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    It sounds like you have more physical space than I do. For me, I have a much more limited amount of physical living space, so there isn't a 1:1 correlation between "media I like" and "media I have room for." So I have to make choices. There are plenty of movies and shows that I enjoy and will watch again - but where I will be losing absolutely nothing by watching them from a hard drive instead of a disc.

Osato likes this.