1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

We have wish lists, but what's on your dump list?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Cameron Yee, Mar 27, 2019.

1. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    Same here.

Whenever I buy new dvds/blurays at nearby wallyworld (hardly any place else still carries dvds), in the car I open up the packages to see whether the correct discs are present. Even before I turn on key ignition on the car. A few times, there was the wrong disc inside the dvd (or bluray) package, such as two copies of the same disc in multi-disc set and a missing disc.

2. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    That's the story with me and a lot of stuff that was on my shelf, and that stuff wound up being fairly easy to let go.

When I had culled the first round of discs, and then was working on upgrading DVDs to either BDs or HD digital copies, my wife was noticing the titles being added to our AppleTV, and finally she asked me, "Why did you buy a digital copy of that?" And I realized that in more than once instance, I didn't have a good answer. The DVD had sat on my shelf for 15 years without being touched; maybe it was never watched in the first place. I had vague memories of liking the movie when I had seen it once decades ago. And once she pointed that out, I started getting pickier about which stuff was being upgraded vs. just let go. For any major studio title that's readily available and has been in print non-stop, I've tried to stop feeling obligated to keep it in my collection forever just because it was once in there.

I have to be cautious now that I'm about to begin ripping discs for my HTPC experiment. Hard drive space is cheap, which might encourage me to never get rid of anything. I have a feeling that there will be some discs that I'll pull from the shelf in preparation of adding them to the hard drive, and then will realize that I can probably just get rid of the disc entirely without keeping a copy.

It all comes back to, what's the point of your collection? And there's a different answer for all of us. My collection was started with the answer to that question being, "So I can watch my favorite movies in the quality I want at my convenience," but in the past five years or so, what's on my shelf is more than my favorites... it's turned into "this is a record of everything I've seen" and that's silly. I mean, I was at a point where I was going to the movie theaters, seeing a movie, not loving the movie, and still buying a disc copy -- that made absolutely no sense and I'm glad I realized it and stopped doing it.

When I had a smaller collection where each thing in it was meaningful to me, it made me happy to see those things on the shelf. I'm glad that I've realized that having a larger collection with things that aren't meaningful to me doesn't bring me an extra joy, and I'm looking forward to getting back to having my collection be about what's important to me. And I have a feeling it'll be more fun to look at a smaller shelf and to see it as a reflection of what my favorites are, and not just a reflection of what I've watched in recent years.

Todd Erwin and benbess like this.
  3. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    My way around this same issue, is to only use my HTPC for tv shows on dvd and various long running movie franchises. Primarily playing episodes in the background when I'm at home during the day (such as working from home) and I don't feel like watching star trek reruns all day.

I don't really bother watching one-shot movies on the computer. Basically if I'm not willing to watch a movie on my standalone bluray player with my full attention, then I'll probably never watch the dvd/bluray disc again. Ripping the latter the computer, would be completely superfluous to me.

4. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    It sounds like you have more physical space than I do. For me, I have a much more limited amount of physical living space, so there isn't a 1:1 correlation between "media I like" and "media I have room for." So I have to make choices. There are plenty of movies and shows that I enjoy and will watch again - but where I will be losing absolutely nothing by watching them from a hard drive instead of a disc.

Osato likes this.
  5. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    20190116_074845a.
    20190116_074836a.

Since my Toshiba HD-DVD player is having serious audio issues and I am not crazy about spending money on a player that only has 69 titles. These titles are on my dump list but I am planning on replacing them with ether blu-ray, 4K blu-ray or digital.

Osato likes this.
  6. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

But why is Swordfish sandwiched between Backdraft and Constantine?!? :laugh:

C'mon, man!!!! :D

phillyrobt likes this.
  7. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    I’m finding that the local second hand store only gives me $1.00 or so for Blu rays. Is there any market at all for HD DVDs?

OLDTIMER likes this.
  8. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Can’t imagine there’s much of one.

9. OLDTIMER

OLDTIMER Stunt Coordinator

Ken S-B
    I took around 30 blu-rays and DVDs to a large 2nd hand store only to be told that there's a glut. They only took 3 at $2AU each. The way I look at it is that if you watch a movie at the cinema you never get the money spent recouped, so why worry about the money spent on a disc that you don't want to watch again.

phillyrobt likes this.
  10. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    I really don’t mind getting a pittance, as long as I get something. The store I deal with is a chain, (“The Beat Goes On”) and has a website where you can search or request something you are looking for.

If you go in the store, with something to sell, they look at their requests and inventory. If someone is requesting what you have, you are more likely to get a few $s for yours. If on the other hand their inventory shows they have enough copies, they are not interested.

I go there if I have screwed up and bought something twice, from a Walmart dump bin or with DVDs I have replaced with Blus. They often look at 10 or so and are only interested with 2 or 3. I sell those and donate the rest.

I recently acquired an extra copy of Alita. It was a 3 disc set with Blu ray, 3D disc and UHD disc. The case was broken. I got $8.00.

11. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Ok I may have been lazy and just put it back anywhere. Most likely after my player started giving me audio issues and is not usable anymore. :(

I know your giving me a bad time. ;) I cleared my shelf of all HD-DVD's and packed them up.

12. Osato

Osato Producer

I just picked up the mission impossible UHd Blu Ray set. Watched the first two and they looked fantastic!!!

13. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Thank you Osato I want to pick up that set on 4K so I can finally write off the HD-DVD's I have. :D

Osato likes this.
  14. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

I honestly don't even care. I just leave mine at a certain thrift shop that has a good selection of blu-rays. The guy there says a lot of collectors come in just to look at the dvds and blus, and that works for me. As long as an actual collector is buying them (and helping out a worthy animal rescue organization while we're at it).

15. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

That's all. I was just kidding. Or else I would have mentioned some of the other issues in the "S" section. :laugh: I think, though, that just shows my OCD more than anything on your part!

But I'm sure you fixed the Swordfish placement when you put those discs in the box....right?!?!? :wacko: :D

It's funny though how I am compelled to check out every single title whenever I see an image of someone else's collection.

My wife and I were strolling through a local village-wide garage sale this past weekend. Most collections I see out for sale consist heavily of sophomoric comedies that I would never purchase.

16. cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC Cinematographer

Luis
    Sadly, I have quite a few Criterion DVDs on my "dump pile" so to speak - films I simply don't have time to dedicate to. Titles include World On A Wire, Mafioso, Amarcord, and Jubilee - about a dozen in total. They're all holdovers from my DVD binge buying days and many have yet to be upgraded to HD. Criterion are frustratingly and painfully slow to upgrade their DVD library - something which contributes greatly to this issue. Unfortunately, the market for used DVD titles, even from Criterion, is practically nonexistent so most of these discs will likely end up in a storage bin and forgotten. I refuse to throw away discs from certain labels so I'd rather bin them and forget about them than throw them out.

I've also been getting rid of doubles of some titles, particularly steelbooks and imports. I'm a packaging nut so I have a sizable collection of films I already own standard editions of. I've chucked many, given some away, sold some and the ones I really like I've kept on the shelves alongside the standard versions but at some point, those, too, will have to go.

17. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    In all seriousness, the only thing on my dump list is a slew of laserdiscs. Selling does not seem worth it. probably will give them to Goodwill if they will accept it. A few dozen I will keep for the time being since they are nice box sets.

Robin9 likes this.
  18. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Supporting Actor

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    Yes I have a few dozen laserdiscs too, and I can’t remember the last time I turned on the disc player (still works the last time I powered it up).