We are gonna get a plasma, which one?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Ning Wong, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Ning Wong

Ning Wong Stunt Coordinator

OK. Well, if were up to me, I would not get a plasma just yet. But we need to put it on a wall where nothing else will really work.

Here are my choices here:

Gateway 42" Plasma

Samsung 42 inch Plasma Display, PPM-42S3

Planar PDP-42BK w/ Desk Stand Bundle

Viewsonic 42 Inch Plasma Display With Built-In TV Tuner VPW425

Planar 42" Plasma Display ( Widescreen 16:9 Screen Ratio ) - PDP-42BK

Which one do you recommend? These TVs are around my budget.

Also, we'd like to get some professionals to install this for us - wall mount it and run the wiring. Are there any good pros will do this in the Long Beach, CA area?

Thanks!!!

2. Steve_L_B

Steve_L_B Stunt Coordinator

I highly recommend that you also take a look at the Panasonic TH-42PWD6UY. It can be found online for about the same price as the others you are considering, but has a much better picture overall. It does not have a built in tuner, but if you already have a VCR, cable box or satellite receiver, you really won't need it.

-Steve

3. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

I agree with Steve....none of the above. If you're going to go in the plasma direction, the Panasonic units are far superior to those you've listed.

Mort

4. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Ditto on the panny units. Spend the extra couple hundred bucks. Panasonic has vastly superior black levels and probably a much better de-interlacer/scaler. Overall Pannys are regarded as king of ED plasmas.

But they are so popular that they are backordered at many places....

But if you won't do the extra few bucks, I would say the Samsung is the best. Overall the Gateways are considered bottom barrel.