What's new

We are getting our first HDTV! (1 Viewer)

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
EDIT: This is our first step to having HD in our house. So I'm new on actually having HD.

Well, not me. My dad is getting it. He wanted a new tv for his bedroom and wanted something with a small footprint. He almost got sold on some Sanyo EDTV Plasma (yeck!). So I did some research and I found a nice 42" DLP from Samsung. It is also about $600 cheaper and real HD.

So the perdicament is this...

Right now we only get digital SDTV Comcast cable. We also have two TiVos in the house. One in my Dads room and one in the kitchen. He wants to keep the ability to DVR and I am pretty sure he would like to do it in HD. So that means that he can't use his (older non-HD) Tivo in his room.

Now I know that he could get an HD-DVR from Comcast. That would seem to be the solution.

But!

The DLP tv he is getting also supports CableCARD. If he gets the cablecard he wont have to fumble remotes and it would very clean. Unfortunatly, I don't believe that you can do any DVRing with it.

So basically, should my Dad opt for the cleaner CableCARD? Or should he just get a new HD box with DVR?

James Phung

Second Unit
I think there was a thread about cable cards recently. There seemed to be many issues with them. I'd recommend getting a hd dvr from comcast. If the remote problem is a big issue, you can find some nice remotes that can control many things like the home theater master mx-500.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Not sure why you need advice for that issue. It's your Dad's call. If he has cable card, no dvr. If he wants HD DVR, he needs to go with comcast or directv. I don't think there is a standalone HD DVR out, but even if there was, it would still be a separate box. The hard drive has to go somewhere. :) Or he can keep his SD tivo and use a cable card so he only has one box. Seems purely a personal preference issue to me.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
I don't have much experience with cablecards. Thats why Im asking. We should be getting the tv today. I don't know what he is going to do yet. Right now, I'd say he is going with a new set top box instead of the cablecard.

Thanks.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
If you decide to use a cable card on your Samsung there is a chance that you will loose your guide. I have heard that by using a cable card instead of the cable box that you loose out on the cable guide that allowes you to navigate whats on and go directly to that program. I would consider that when looking into cable cards. I myself will be most likely getting a Mitsubishi or Samsung but will not be using a cable card. Instead I will just use the HD cable box that I got from COX cable.

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
Cable card setups only provide for one way communication, so no guide...no ppvs, no on-demand, etc.

The HD-DVR I use with Cox is great. If they would let me have a second one for my bedroom I'd be on it in a snap. I'm sure there are plenty of people who can comment on some conveniences you may miss without Tivo, but I've never had it so I'm fine.

As for the new remote learning curve, check out the Logitech Harmony 688 It's a snap to set up via the web and it's already laid out for DVRs. If the family is going to have to learn a new remote anyway, why not make it one that can do everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks