We are fast becoming a "Springer Nation".

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shawn Shultzaberger, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

The more I watch the news and the more I see with my own eyes on a daily basis the more I am sure that we are becoming a "Springer Nation". I give the United States of America another 50 to 100 years before half of the population are total idiots.
    What got me started on all this other than what has been on the news lately?
    My wife and I were sitting in her car waiting to pick up our son from his Football Game. My father-in-law and cousin were in their truck behind us. There were some High School kids waiting on the front steps for their parents. A mom pulls up in her minivan and her son has this bottle in his hands. He stops before getting in, swigs the last of what was in the bottle and proceeds to throw it high in the air. It came down with a loud "smack" on our windshield. The kid starts busting out laughing and just about didn't get "sorry" out. In the driver side mirror you could see the mom laughing her rear off. I opened the door to jump out but my wife stopped me. She's always the voice of reason. So I sit there and stew. I figured a dirty look would be ok so when they drove by us I stared them down but they were pointing and laughing so hard I swore I saw tears. They never picked up the bottle.
    If that was my son who did that I would have made him get out of the car, pick up the bottle and most definitely apologize.
    If there are parents out there that teach kids that this is OK behavior what the hell are we going to be like in 100 years?
    Sorry, I'm just venting. [​IMG]

2. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

that doesn't really sound like a springer incident, more like just absolute rudeness and stupidity...springer is trashy people picking fights because they have nothing better to do.

i think this quote says it all:

"Talk show hosts, political candidates, news programs, special interest groups - they all become successful by reducing debates to the level of shouted rage. Nothing gets solved, but we're all entertained." - Calvin, Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson; November 26, 1995

3. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

4. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

5. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

btw, was it a plastic or glass bottle? any noticeable damage done to the windsheild if it was glass?

6. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

If that happened to me, I would be posting this reply from jail, and the kid would not be able to sit down for at least a week.

7. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

Shawn,

I admire your restraint. Although it's tough to ignore morons like this, you did the right thing. People like this never learn. You could have yelled at them until you were blue in the face and in the end you'd end up with a situation like the one seen at Comiskey Park last week. For those of you who didn't hear, a 34 year-old man and his 15 year-old son jumped out of the stands and attacked the KC Royals coach. Why? In the words of the son, "He flipped us off, he deserved it."

All we can hope for is that people like these and your bottle throwing friends become Darwin Award recipients in the near future.

Ralph

8. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

9. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

10. BrianB

BrianB Producer

11. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

12. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

The kid looked about 16 years old and the bottle was plastic. I watched it reach it's peak and thought "Oh crap!" Then SMACK! Sounded like a big rock had hit the windshield. My wife jumped.

I had another incident a few months back where this fellow in a Ford pickup truck decided that he was going to show me who was boss by acting like he was going to run me off the road. He'd jerk his wheel and come over into my lane only to go back into his just a fast. And it all started because he wanted to merge extremely late into a 3 into 2 lane construction zone. I was pinned in. I couldn't speed up and I couldn't move over to let him in because someone was beside me. It's a nasty little construction zone. So many cars merging. He forced his way behind me by forcing another car into the other lane which almost caused an accident. After we were out of the CZ that's when he started.

When I was younger I would have done something without thinking but now that I'm older I just kinda hold my breath and let the feelings pass. Sure I stew a little but is it really worth the time and effort? Not really.

13. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Canada is quickly joining in on the fun.... example;

Last week at a discount seller?(liquidation world). A mother and her son(37-38 and 12-13) brought a buggy with some tar pails out to there truck. I guess they decided they didn't want the labels. The young guy proceeds to rip off the labels and throw them on the ground and kick them under the truck.

I thought it was just the son .... nope, the mother joined in.

The worst thing was that the boy took the buggy back and left it sitting beside ..... you guessed it, a refuse container.

Silly, or ignorant you be da judge.

Brent

14. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

15. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

16. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

17. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

18. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

19. andrew markworthy

20. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

I guess it goes without saying....

there have always been tons of idiots in the country, Springer just happens to broadcast their ills to millions of people on a daily basis.

Long before television, all you had to worry about were the idiots you saw during the day.

What the hell did I just say ?

ah screw it, it made sense to me for a nanosecond.