What's new

We are expecting too much from our new equipment. (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
such thing as a stupid question only
stupid answers
Slightly off-topic, but I've always hated that expression. There are stupid questions. Now maybe you could say that it's better to ask a question than to remain ignorant, but that doesn't mean there's no such thing as a stupid question.

Ted Kim

Stunt Coordinator
A brief word about the hiss people are hearing. I switched my input to DVD, left the DVD player off, boosted the volume to full reference (0 db) and I couldnt hear squat as close as 4 inches from my speakers. It just isnt there in my system.
Mike,

I did a test last night on the hiss issue and the issue of crosstalk between channels. You are right about no hiss with the DVD but that is because the input is most likely digital in your case. However, if you use an ANALOG input on any of the channels, I could hear the hiss at the listening position, about 8 ft away with the volume at about +1 to 10. I tried it on all the different inputs and seemed to get hiss only when it was on the ANALOG setting. In digital or using ANALOG BYPASS, the hiss went away. I didn't notice it before because my usual listening volume is much lower at -25. I also did a short test on the crosstalk and was able to hear it with ANALOG sources again but not with digital. The crosstalk seemed to vary with the input that I selected when I had the VCR on play. I can't remember whether Analog BYPASS made a difference with the crosstalk. So there are definitely some issues that are not isolated complaints.

The thing to remember if ANALOG bypass is used rather than ANALOG is that the bass management is defeated. So if that is important to the user, then I can see it being a concern.

Aslam Imran

Second Unit
I think that its a very accurate expression. The question asked is never stupid (atleast for the person asking the question) the only thing that can be stupid is the answer. Give me an example of a stupid question and I'll tell you why it isn't stupid to ask it. Sorry to be off topic.

Chip E

Screenwriter
Aslam,
I can assure you even after quoting some specs in an earlier thread (or this one?) that my 5803 has NEVER run out of steam... plenty of headroom. I'm still interested in an amp though.. :)

Aslam Imran

Second Unit
Chip,

I am sure you have never run out of steam on the 5800 and you probably never will. You only use maybe 2-3 watts most of the time. Its only in the dynamic passages that the amp is taxed beyond 100 watts or so and I am sure a good receiver like the 5803 can sustain 150 W for those short durations. I never doubted the capability of the 5803. I was only saying that a separate amp like the 770 is much more capable than the 5803 even though you might never need to use those capabilities, ever.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
You know, people have made a big deal about the lack of time alignment on the 950, but time alignment on my Denon is next to useless anyways. It tries to be too smart for me and tells me "You can't put your speaker there", when it is the only places I can put speakers. That being said, I have never had a problem with sounds being out of alignment in my system.

John talks about the lack of "tweakability", but to be honest, I don't think most people use them. I also question the need if you get well matched equipment. Also, some of these adjustments can be done with an external equalizer that would probably be cheaper in total than the more expensive pre/pro.

Yes, some people might have a need for some of the features not available on the 950. If that's true, then maybe you should buy one of those. To be honest, there isn't a feature someone mentioned here that is worth 1K-2K more than the Outlaw. As Mike has said, most people don't need the features that it is missing, and what is missing isn't worth that much more.

Upgradability? I laugh at that. I don't trust anything hardware to be upgradable, mainly because they don't know what will be the next big thing, and it might not do as well as something that was designed to work that way in the first place.

For full disclosure, I'm not in the market right now for an Outlaw. Hell, I just got a 5 channel amp. I am kinda sick of all the talk about what it isn't. Just tell me what else I can get at that price point that has those features? I can't vouch for the sound, but everyone seems to be happy with it. (The suggestion to comparing it to the Sony is a good one, since it is in the same price range and has similar features.)

Jason

Graeme Shiomi

Stunt Coordinator
John, you said:
Thats why I sold the bottlehead and bought a anthem 2lpre, but the bottlehead matches the anthems sonics, no doubt.
I was wondering if you could comment on the similarities/differences between the 2. I've got the Pre-2L, but was thinking of trying out the Bottlehead Foreplay as a little fun project. But if the sonic differences aren't that big, I'll try for a different project (i.e. DIY something else...maybe the Bottlehead amps instead).

Thanks,
Graeme

Chip E

Screenwriter
Jason,

I couldn't agree with you more. I don't use (or haven't yet used) half the features of my 5803 and maybe never will. About the only thing i've done is cross @ 40 and set my mains too large!, lol... Love'n it though. I have to say, there's been so much talk about Outlaw from people that i'm damn curious to hear it. Anyone got one or getting one in South Jersey that'd care let me have a listen?

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
Graeme,
To be honest I preferred the sound of the bottlehead over the anthem. Not that theres anything wrong with the anthem, its just that the bottlehead had much more of a tubey sound which I prefer. I havent rolled the sovteks out of the anthem yet, so more to come.The anthem sounds solid state like to me, while the bottlehead sounds very analog..
Chip,
At least make sure you try the pure direct mode on the 5803, I think you will be blown away, also if you dont want your remote I will take it;)
Jason,
I have a very well matched equipment list I believe and a nice sized listening environment (NHT 2.9 AC-2 VS 2.4S, SVS,PARASOUND 2205)My speakers are located in good locations etc. The point is that It is still benificial to use all the tweaks the lex offers..Vocal enhance is a great feature, also once you heard bass enhance with stereo subs you wont want to go back to mono bass. Also logic 7 isnt a tweak its an enhancement along with alot of other features I listed. If you had these enhancements, it would be silly not to use them..Just my opinion...and yes they do make a difference no matter how good your system sounds it can always sound better. If somebody doesnt want to use these "tools" then thats ok to.

Chip E

Screenwriter
John,

I have tried pure direct mode, it's a keeper. I also just switched my analog connections from my 555ES to a digital out (coax) to the 5803 for the first time. It's hard to tell whats better? The dac's in both seem great to me. Think i'll leave up to the 5803 for a while.. Hey, the only thing that totally sucks is the remote! Lol...i'm gonna keep it though. At least till i figure out how to get my MX500 to freakin work it! I haven't been able to get any codes to work.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Oh, someone asked what the 950 *didn't* have:

Another one: Good ADCs. They are only 24/48's.

The DACs are 24/192's which *are* more important (unless you listen to a lot of 2 channel vinyl and want to use the digital crossover, for example), but oh well...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks