What's new

WDT Wave 3 delayed until May (1 Viewer)

Brian_N

Auditioning
From Ultimatedisney.com:

The big bad news today is that Disney is apparently moving Wave 3 of the Walt Disney Treasures, scheduled for release in just 3 1/2 weeks, all the way back to May 2004. This move is technically unconfirmed, highly unusual, and without a specified reason. Huge bummer, it would seem.

Did not yet see this posted. Anyone have any more info?

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
If this is true, I would guess it's because the holiday season is pretty darn crowded already--not just with new releases, but also with major releases that came out earlier this year that will be vying for gift-giving dollars. Look at all the TV shows alone. (Boxed sets are always big holiday sellers.) Disney's own big releases, Finding Nemo and Pirates of the Caribbean, will be major players this year, and it probably wants to throw its promotional muscles behind those rather than add even more big titles that might get lost in the shuffle.

Just my thoughts...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
good news for me. too much too buy on dvd in dec.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Nooooooooooo......

I will be horribly horribly depressed if this is true, these sets I've been looking forward to all year, I preordered back in JULY! (considers going to amazon to up to two day shipping in the hopes I'll still get them...)

GarySchrock

Second Unit
I'd be somewhat disappointed, but man, my wallet sure wouldn't argue with the break. 12/2 is going to be expenisve enough as it is, even without the disney treasures.

JohnDMoore

Stunt Coordinator
If this is true this is terrible news. I too am buying a good deal of stuff this December but this was going to be the highlight.
I'll keep my fingers crossed this is misinformation.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
Shoot! I hope not. I have been waiting since this summer for these. They should be great!

Let's just hope Walt Disney didn't decide to go all PC on us and hack up the On The Frontlines to get rid of anything that could be considered "offensive" to the overly-sensitive in this world...

UltimateDisney is usually a very reliable source for Disney info... but I hope it is wrong this time!

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I recently bought the 7 previous WDT sets at Costco and on the box it says to look for the new ones on Dec 2nd.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I would be very disappointed if this is true. It would suck having to wait an additional 5 months, and I'd spend that time worrying that the reason for the delay was that they chickened out and decided to remove something that they worried would offend somebody. :frowning:

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
move is technically unconfirmed, highly unusual, and without a specified reason.
Don't dispair until you hear something official. However, I don't know if you could ever order it from Disney.com but you can't now. I'll admit, I would be dissapointed if it were delayed, after just doing the Costco deal this week (Thanks, Patrick!)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Disney's own big releases, Finding Nemo and Pirates of the Caribbean, will be major players this year, and it probably wants to throw its promotional muscles behind those rather than add even more big titles that might get lost in the shuffle.
Seems like apples and oranges. Nemo is selling millions, as will Pirates. The "Treasures" are limited to what, 150,000 copies? They don't really need promotion, as they'll sell fine anyway. I can't imagine Disney would delay such a small-scale release because of promotional issues when they don't require much help as it is. Plus, past sets have competed with other major releases, so I don't see what would be different for this one...

Terry H

Second Unit
I hope we hear some official word from Disney SOON. If this is true, I won't be needing the tins I ordered and intended as gifts.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Either way, it's good.

This last quarter is so dense with releases... a May release would allow everyone's wallets to stop burning for a short time.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The next Mickey set is supposed to include Mickey's Christmas Carol though- I'd like to be able to see that before Christmas instead of in May!

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
My Wallet won't be burning because my dvd purchases have been limited to the Warners Legends Collection, loony Tunes Golden Collection, and the four Walt Disney Treasures for the fall. The treasures themselves represent more than half of my dvd budget! I did update my amazon order to two day shipping, I'm hoping a Duel like situation will arise!

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
If this news is accurate, then it is bad news. Forum members have been writing and reading about these releases since wave 2 came out last December.
As stated above, these titles (in their limited numbers) sell! Within weeks to a few months no retailer will have copies and the silly prices on auction sites will start to appear.
I suspect a lot of forum members like myself have all the other tins and would buy the next wave of 4 come what may. If something had to go because of expense then it wouldn't be the Walt Disney tins. I am sure Disney knows this and I too wonder whether there is another reason for their delay. After all who knows what competition there will be next May (maybe the original Star Wars titles will be out or wave 2 of the Looney Tunes)?

Jeff Swearingen

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
I have been waiting years to see Victory through Air Power and Der Fuehrer's Face.

I'm not going to allow myself to believe this until something official gets released.

Of course I also won't allow myself to believe that Song of the South will never be visited on the Treasures series...call me optimistic, bull-headed or just plain stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks