WDT: Disneyland USA -- Can someone post a review or 3?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Sharp, Dec 13, 2001.

1. Kevin Sharp

Kevin Sharp Stunt Coordinator

Everyone talks about Mickey & Symphonies, but this set is hardly mentioned!

Any comments would be appreciated...

2. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

I please to aim. My review just went online today:
    http://www.dvdmg.com/disneylandusa.shtml
    In a nutshell, I'm a huge Disney parks fan, and I really liked this set. It has some quality issues, especially in the two shows from the Fifties. One looks decent, but the other presents a genuinely horrible image. However, the two Sixties programs - both in color - look pretty good, and the sound is acceptable across the board. Not many supplements, though I loved the gallery of attractions posters.
    Objectively, this isn't a great set due to the occasionally weak quality. Subjectively, it's a treat. I'm very happy to have it, and all fans of Disney parks will want to give it a look - it's great fun to get such a nice look at the original...

3. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

I just got this set yesterday but have yet to watch it.

If you happen to be an LD'er, I also recommended the Disneyland Anthology box set, six episodes on three discs of the old Disneyland show, including my favorite, Mars and Beyond. Only one episode is duplicated. Good luck trying to find this set, though - it's by far the rarest Disney box set and normally sells for a good amount (I sold a sealed copy to a member for $130, and I've seen them go much higher).

4. Aaron Ulmer

Aaron Ulmer Agent

Colin, what a wonderful, indepth review. [​IMG]
    I would agree that if you are a fan of Disney and Disneyland specifically, this is a must have disc. I've read accounts of opening day at Disneyland, but never had the pleasure to see the footage. It adds such depth to see some of the goings on.
    I'd like to mention one part that stood out: When the Disneyland Railroad arrives at the Main Street station for the first time, Walt is aboard along with the president of Southern Pacific railroad. He states something to the effect that he is the president of Southern Pacific "AND Disneyland railroad." You might miss it, but Walt quickly corrects him, "vice president."
    I highly recommend this to any Disney fan.

5. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    I have the laser box of "Disneyland Anthology" too and I haven't finished watching it. It brings back memories of sitting down on the front room floor on Sunday night and being transported to the happiest place on earth...Disneyland. When I bought the new DVD, I couldn't find out what was in it, so I bought it, hoping it wasn't a duplicate of the laser. I was hoping for more.
    Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear eats you! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I never got the laserdisc set, how does this compare to it? Is it all the same, different or just part of it?

7. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Here is what's on the Disneyland Anthology LD box set:
    • The Disneyland Story
    • A Day in the Life of Donald Duck
    • Along the Oregon Trail
    • The Crisler Story/Prowlers of the Everglades
    • Adventures in Fantasy
    • Mars and Beyond
    Only one episode is duplicated on the DVD set.