WD 80GB HD compatable with my older IBM PC 300GL?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff lam, Mar 4, 2003.

1. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I'm looking to jump on the deal for the 80GB Western Digital SE HD and just wanted to know if I could use it in my older computer for now till I am ready to start my new build. The computer is a IBM PC 300GL with a celleron 300. My question is will the HD work OK as a slave unit or will I need a HD controller to get it to work?

2. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

there is no reason for the hardrive not to work in your particular computer. the 800jb will be compatible with the older interface standards present inside your computer. the only issues that may arise is that your computer will only recognize a portion of the harddrive (say only 32 gigs) which is do to addressing issues. you can almost always fix the size limitation issues by updated your computer and at worst partitioning your hardrive out so that your computer will recognize all the space but just across multiple drives.

I would say if it's a good deal then go for it, if your on a celery 300 I'm sure you are increasing your hardrive space by a good deal through buying a new hardrive [​IMG]
    at least until you buy your new computer.

3. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Yeah, my IBM only has 4Gigs to it. Running out of space real quick. Price ws right though at $75 from a friend's company that went under. Had to have a quick useable PC when our laptop crashed. Since the WD has a couple rebates now that make it $70, I though I'd jump on the deal since this was the drive I wanted for my new build anyway which will be sometime within the year hopefully.