What's new

WB's Police Academy 7-disc box-set: Press Release (2 Viewers)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Earlier posts noted that all 7 films would be in 16x9...

How can we contact Warner to find out about the 3rd and 4th movies? It doesn't make any sense to see them remaster all but those two.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Count me in as someone who was *going* to buy the box set but won't now that I know 4/5 are FF only crap. I'll just get the others separately.

Gee, Warner Brothers, what the hell are you thinking??? This was looking like one of my favorite releases of the year and you ruin it by releasing 2 of them FF only....and for no apparent reason.

I too remember reading earlier info saying all of them would be OAR so I'm HOPING that maybe, just maybe, this press release might contain some faulty info.

EDIT: Regarding release dates, the only one mentioned is for the first DVDs SE on April 13. What about the others? The same day? I ask because the original info that came out a while back said the release date was April 6.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Yeah there's gotta be some word from some in-the-know sites (ie The Bits, et al), or someone with definite info has to post here and say that 4 and 5 will 100% be unmatted. I'm still hoping, but that's pretty big errors to have in a press release.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Yes but they often have omissions and/or errors. Like I said there isn't much hope, but hope dies last, doesn't it.

But doesn't anybody know of a link to contact WB? I've looked all over their home video site and nothing. There's gotta be a form or an email address...

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
WTF?

Is Warner sliding back to the late 90s? After their dynamite work in 2003, now this. Un-fucking-believable.

This had better not be a sign of things to come from Warner. I've got a huge wish list of Warner releases, and if I find that they end up giving the same treatment that MGM and Columbia/TriStar give their catalog titles, I will be greatly saddened.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Dammit.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I've scoured WB's sites, some not even related to home video and I still can't come up with any contact info or any contacting means whatsoever. Not even a mailing address... Surely somebody here must know.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
If you want a mailing address, just look at the back of any WB DVD.

Warner Home Video
4000 Warner Blvd.
Burbank, California 91522

Let 'em know what you think!

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
NO SALE

I'd have loved to buy the box set, but I've no interest in buying the titles separate. Looks like I won't be doing either. The only two titles I wasn't interested in were five and seven, but I couldn't just buy a few of these! Thanks for saving me some money for once WB, I'll gladly spend it on your quality product like the Looney Tunes and Legends collections.

Hell I only watch these titles every few years as a marathon anyway. I don't even know how much I might like them anymore, so a potential risk to my wallet has been elimated!

Thanks WB!

Adam

Tim Ke

Stunt Coordinator
It says parts 4 and 5 have been modified from their original version, while the others have been matted to widescreen. Does this mean if 4 and 5 were presented in widescreen versions they would NOT be matted?

Matthew H

Second Unit
Mission to Moscow was not direct to video.. it was only released theatrically in select areas of the country.

Oh well, I love all of these movies to death.. so I gotta get the boxset. If they decide to release 4 and 5 in WS then I'll repurchase those as well.

Can't wait. :D:emoji_thumbsup:

Carl Walker

Stunt Coordinator
NO SALE, NO SALE, NO SALE!!!!! :angry:

I was going to buy the box set, but not now... In fact, I am not even going to buy the first one as a separate title! If I can't own the whole series, then, I won't own any of them. :thumbsdown:

Haden

Supporting Actor
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the deleted scenes yet. Most of the Police Academy films had MANY extra scenes edited into extended cuts for their television airings (particularly on the TBS channel in the United States). I was hoping those would be edited into the films on these DVD release, or at least included as supplements. But the runtimes for each film appear to match their theatrical releases. Yet another reason for me to skip the box set and just get the first film.

However, IMDB lists a runtime of 97 minutes for Police Academy 2, but this press release says it's 87 minutes long on the DVD. I wonder if its just a typo or if they actually had the nerve to cut 10 minutes from the film.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

I did in the fifth post of this thread. This is all-around one of the worst mistakes WB has made in recent history. Perhaps if a petition was made, they'll release an "all-widescreen" version at a later date. As it stands it just boggles the mind. I still hope this is a mistake.

Amazon has the set for just over 40 bucks, by the way. And it has a release date of April 6, as do the single discs.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

IMDB isn't always accurate when it comes to running times, aspect ratios, etc. - it could be a typo on IMDB or on the press release, but I would guess that the film wasn't shortened for DVD.

john mcfadden

Stunt Coordinator
Just the first 3 for me .....after part 4 Guttenburg left and the rating was stuck at PG and the flicks got lame ...FAST !...The first one getting a SE is a major miracle!!!!!:emoji_thumbsup:

Michael Pakula

Second Unit
This is garbage, Im a big fan of the series and would have gladly bought the whole series even though I didn't like Mission To Moscow but if 4 & 5 aren't OAR and there are no deleted scenes than this is a no sale for me. Im surprised some people also on this forum nominated Warner too as best studio even after all these screw ups like Terminator 3 too.

-Mike

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
I'll probably just get the first two. Looking forward to that commentary.
That's too bad about 4 and 5 getting P&S. This just doesn't seem right coming from WB. They've been so good about OAR recently.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
To clarify one point, read the press release. The titles are "matted". There is no P&S involved in 4&5.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks