What's new

WB's 2010: The year we make contact NOT ENHANCED (1 Viewer)

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
I did a search, and could not find if someone had already said this but....
I just picked up the Warner release off2010: THE YEAR WE MAKE CONTACT. I had held off buying the MGM release because I knew it was not enhanced for 16x9 displays. I picked up the WB release today, thinking the situation had been fixed. But.... you guessed it, even though the back cover said it is enhanced, IT IS NOT. Its the same crappy transfer thats on the previous release. Oh well, at least the WB release includes the pan and scan version. *puke*

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
While it's true that it is not enhanced, at least it's widescreen; and it's available for about $9.95 at most Wal-Mart stores.

It's still a better transfer, overall, than the enhanced "Forbidden Planet" DVD, which is sourced from a truly awful print.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Re: Forbidden Planet transfer being of poor quality...
Warner may be creating a restored 2 Disc Special Edition for late 2003, so don't be buyin' the existing DVD!
Pray for a flawless 2.55:1 anamorphic transfer! :)
GCM

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
I believe it's the same transfer, but no the same disc. There are different menus, and the MGM one has a featurette, but no trailer, and i believe the WB release has a trailer, but not the featurette.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
You mean you wouldn't go for a super-duper deluxe superbit pristine with loads of extras edition of the Peter Hyams thing, Jack? :)

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy

Nopers. The WB release is a 2 sided, with the pan and scan version. The MGM is single sided. BOTH contain the featurette. The widescreen transfer on both discs is exactly the same: crappy and non-anamorphic.

Eric F

Screenwriter
That's unfortunate. While 2010 isn't the masterpiece 2001 is, it's still a good movie in it's own right.

Speaking of which, anyone know the progress of the 3001 movie? I hear it come up every once in a while. Have they given up completely? It would be nice to see it done while AC Clarke was still alive (they better hurry).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks