What's new

WB will mark it's 90th Anniversay in style (1 Viewer)

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Moe Dickstein said:
Sunrise is a Fox title.
It certainly is, as are the other titles that Fox "loaned" out to Carlotta and Eureka. I don't think Warners will be that benevolent, sadly, but there is hope from Universal as a gorgeous BD of DeMille's CLEOPATRA is coming form Eureka in the fall. The Eureka/MoC site has screen captures that look great. Now, if only they'd do the same next year for THE SIGN OF THE CROSS.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Ed Lachmann said:
It certainly is, as are the other titles that Fox "loaned" out to Carlotta and Eureka. I don't think Warners will be that benevolent, sadly, but there is hope from Universal as a gorgeous BD of DeMille's CLEOPATRA is coming form Eureka in the fall. The Eureka/MoC site has screen captures that look great. Now, if only they'd do the same next year for THE SIGN OF THE CROSS.
Demille's CLEOPATRA is available as a Blu-ray in the U.K.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
I'd love to see a big batch of Warner Sci-fi on Blu-Ray for their 90th anniversary:
The Time Machine (1960)
Time After Time
Westworld
7 Faces of Dr. Lao
Valley of Gwangi
Demon Seed
Illustrated Man

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by soop.spoon /t/322613/wb-will-mark-its-90th-anniversay-in-style/60#post_3958582
I'd love to see a big batch of Warner Sci-fi on Blu-Ray for their 90th anniversary:
The Time Machine (1960)
Time After Time
Westworld
7 Faces of Dr. Lao
Valley of Gwangi
Demon Seed
Illustrated Man
Nothing would make me happier than to see many of these entertaining films put out on Blu-ray.

well Warner put Valley of Gwangi and Dr. Lao as an MOD at WB Archives so scratch that off the list
Id love the Time Machine in HD - as a gift set just like their DVD collectors set many years ago..
Time After Time would be great
Them and the Beast from 20000 Fathoms also !

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by soop.spoon /t/322613/wb-will-mark-its-90th-anniversay-in-style/60#post_3958582
The Time Machine (1960)
Time After Time
Westworld
7 Faces of Dr. Lao
Valley of Gwangi
Demon Seed
Illustrated Man
I would buy the works, as well as a Blu upgrade of the "Val Lewton" set.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
We just got confirmation of two Academy Award winners right out of the starting gate
Grand Hotel and Mrs. Miniver
Both slated for January 8, 2013.
Driving Miss Daisy also appears to slated for a concurrent release, being announced alongside Mrs Miniver, but I haven't come across a release date. Should be expected given there was already a German release.

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
Hmmm - I'm not too sure that Mrs. Miniver and Grand Hotel would be released under the banner of WB 90th Anniversary as they are films that are now owned by WB but produced by MGM. After all, this is the 90th Anniversary of Warner Bros. Studio, not of Warner Home Video. I would think that they'll be promoting
WB-produced films for their anniversary. Notice that the press release does not mention "90th Anniversary."
I'll be interested to see what develops.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Originally Posted by ajabrams /t/322613/wb-will-mark-its-90th-anniversay-in-style/60#post_3976947
Hmmm - I'm not too sure that Mrs. Miniver and Grand Hotel would be released under the banner of WB 90th Anniversary as they are films that are now owned by WB but produced by MGM. After all, this is the 90th Anniversary of Warner Bros. Studio, not of Warner Home Video. I would think that they'll be promoting
WB-produced films for their anniversary. Notice that the press release does not mention "90th Anniversary."
A Warner exec earlier in this thread said that FIVE Best Picture Oscar winners would be making their blu-ray debut under the auspices of the 90th Anniversary Celebration..."Around The World In 80 Days" and "The Best Years Of Our Lives" may well be the other two!!!

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
But did he say which five..there could very well be five more WB Studio-produced best picture winners. I'm sure they'll display "90th Anniversary' banners when they release them, just as Paramount and Universal have been doing with their releases-- but again, this is just my assumption. I could be wrong....the important thing for me is that they release the films on Blu - I don't really care under whose auspices they are, as long as they are done properly.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
ajabrams said:
I know that Universal released quite a few Paramount titles with their 100th Banner, so it isn't unheard of (Duck Soup, Sullivan's Travels, etc.). Of course, these were DVD re-issues, but with the way film libraries changed hands, its unlikely we will ever see 'proper' anniversary offerings. MGM doesn't own their earlier films, nor does Paramount. There isn't even an RKO anymore.
I personally feel that the concept of film 'studios' ended in the 70s. Much earlier for some. Other than the animation companies, everything is basically independant today. Yes, we have financing companies that have the same names as the old studios used to have, and some of them 'own' the right to films from their namesakes. But the days of a studio have a certain look, or style, or common personnel is long gone. The last true studio films (IMHO) were the Disney live-actions from the 70s. Other than a few big-name actors and directors, everyone else is contracted film by film.
For these anniversary years, I wish the film owners could have got together and said "hmmm, its Studio Z's anniversary - company X, you own these major titles and company Y, you own these major titles - lets release them all under a common banner and you each take the profits from the films you own" :D I'd also like a pony, and be an astronaut :D

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
I'm with you David. I'm still hoping that when FOX does its Rodgers and Hammerstein BD box that they can license Flower Drum Song from Universal -- would be nice....and we'll work on that pony!!!!

I recently discovered that just because a title goes MOD doesnt mean it will not go Blu. I talked to Warner Archives about this. I think we could see some genre movies wind up on Blu next year. Im totally up for Grand Hotel, Id like to see Them, Beast from 20000 Fathoms, San Francisco, and the whole Thin Man set go HD :)

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by ajabrams /t/322613/wb-will-mark-its-90th-anniversay-in-style/60#post_3976968
But did he say which five..there could very well be five more WB Studio-produced best picture winners. I'm sure they'll display "90th Anniversary' banners when they release them, just as Paramount and Universal have been doing with their releases-- but again, this is just my assumption. I could be wrong....the important thing for me is that they release the films on Blu - I don't really care under whose auspices they are, as long as they are done properly.
Do consumers really care if it's an anniversary anymore. hasn't that marketing concept become tired after 30 some odd years of home video releases?

Warner as a distributor owns too many films - Warner, MGM, Orion, Goldwyn, RKO. So many that we don't get a lot of their own WB films. If other studios owned more of the films maybe Warner would concentrate on their own titles.

Too bad the other companies didn't survive. If MGM and United Artists were still around and profitable maybe we would see more of their films (and more Warner Films from WB)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by David Weicker /t/322613/wb-will-mark-its-90th-anniversay-in-style/60#post_3976982
I know that Universal released quite a few Paramount titles with their 100th Banner, so it isn't unheard of (Duck Soup, Sullivan's Travels, etc.). Of course, these were DVD re-issues, but with the way film libraries changed hands, its unlikely we will ever see 'proper' anniversary offerings. MGM doesn't own their earlier films, nor does Paramount. There isn't even an RKO anymore.

Got a big laugh with the TCM/Universal release last month of UNIVERSAL RARITIES, in which all the films were early Paramount.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I guess this is only hope for seeing Wait Until Dark on Blu-ray, but I doubt it seeing as it's not an Oscar winner.

Oliver Siegel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oliver
A

Oliver Siegel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oliver
Update:Confirmed 2013 Releases (thus far)
January 8th
Mrs. Miniver
Grand Hotel
Driving Miss Daisy
The Jazz Singer
January 29th
Best of Warner Bros. 50 Film Collection
February 5th
Cabaret
A Star is Born (1976)

TBA
Contemporary Gangsters: Volume 1 : Goodfellas, Heat, The Departed and The Town (May)
Original Gangsters Collection: Volume 2 : Little Caesar, Public Enemy, Petrified Forest and White Heat (May)
James Dean UCE & individual digibook releases (Q2)
The Mad Max Collection (Q2)
The Enter the Dragon: 40th Anniversary Edition (Q2)
The Best Years of Our Lives
Clint Eastwood 20 Film Blu-ray Collection (May)
House of Wax Blu-ray 3D (Q3)
The Exorcist: 40th Anniversary Edition (Q3).
The Dark Knight Trilogy: Ultimate Collector’s Edition Blu-ray box set (Q3)
The complete Ocean’s Collection (Q3)
A Christmas Story: 30th Anniversary Edition (Q4).
The Big Parade (Q4),
The Right Stuff: 30th Anniversary Edition (Q4)
The Wizard of Oz: 75th Anniversary Edition on Blu-ray 3D (Q4)
Sommersby
Easter Parade
Westworld
Best in Show
The Nativity Story

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks