WB: What's up with "Babylon 5"?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joseph DeMartino, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    It has been over a month since the "test disc" that Warner Bros. sternly warned us had to sell "better than the VHS" was released. (Like the lousy VHS sales were our fault, and not attributable to 1) WHV's bizarre release strategy of alternating boxed sets of S1 and S5, followed by S2 and S4, and 2) WHV exec Mike Finnegan's public announcement that the show was coming to DVD - something they still pretend didn't happen, even though The Big Picture interview where he said it was read by thousands and is still archived on that site.)
    Based on anecdotal evidence (it is still in the top 100 items on Amazon, and a couple of smaller on-line retailers have it in their top seller lists) it seems to be doing reasonably well - especially for a disc of less-than-stellar technical quality, with no extras to speak of and which received zero promotion from the studio.
    So when do we find out if it did well enough to get us the episodes - and what form a release of those episodes might take? (Hint: Even Paramount has finally figured out that season boxed sets - with extras - is the way to go, and that the Fox X-Files accordian case is the best packaging.)
    Regards,
    Joe

2. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I too am eagerly awaiting word on this show coming to dvd. Of course in season box sets.

3. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

WB really needs to focus on releasing B5 in season boxed sets. I think they'll find that boxed sets of television programming sells well, especially to B5's devoted audience.

I would buy at least season 1, and I've never seen the show. I received the single

4. Jonathan David

And while I know that this is wishful thinking, and that we should be greatful just for the episodes, that Babylon 5 is done correctly first time out.

5. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

I'm currently waiting to hear what you people at Warner Bros. about B5 on DVD as well.

I'd like it to be packaged in season box set format with nice fold-out cases (like Buffy and X-Files) and have like 4 or 5 episodes per disc plus an extras disc

6. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Warner, check out my list of Disks Notice how many TV Shows I own, notice the Box Sets. There is a market.

7. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino
    Not officially confirmed, not B5-related, and lacking details but, but there may be reason for hope here.
    The news of the double-feature B5 DVD also broke via a web retailer taking pre-orders before they were supposed to, so I'm hoping this is a) real and b) evidence that WHV has finally purchased a clue. [​IMG]
    Regards,
    Joe

8. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Friends season 1 on DVD is a good thing insomuch as indicating that Warners is willing to do season boxed sets at all. The price point is high, but there could be cost reasons for that. I hope that this is a good sign that B5 will come out. It's important that people continue to express interest. Perhaps the time is right again for JMS to address it with WB? I think if Sci-fi's Rangers does well enough to merit a series deal that the B5 DVDs might get a bit closer to the fast track.

9. Mark_R

Mark_R Agent

Here is another person eargerly awaiting news on B5 season box sets. I wonder how long the 'trial' is; before they make any decisions. And after decisions, how long before we see anything (assuming they decide to go ahead; gotta think positive here)?

10. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino
    Well, The Digital Bits is reporting that they have confirmed that a Friends full-season set is on the way. (See item here) And a little birdie tells me that Warner Bros. has "lots more TV product coming in 2002", but that they won't discuss specifics at this point. [​IMG]
    Regards,
    Joe

11. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Well, I hope that birdie is right. Their are plenty of tv product from Warner that I would love to own.

12. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

I too would like to hear if they will release the series. Just like Star Trek I will gobble this one up.

13. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino
    Well, just to confirm the little birdy, here's a brief note from today's Digital Bits:

14. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino
    Just a reminder for anyone interested: The new B5-universe TV movie, (and pilot for a possible series) Babylon 5: The Legend of the Rangers debuts at 9 PM (ET/PT) on The Sci-Fi Channel tonight. Those who actually care about the outcome of the NFL play-off game (I don't have a team in the play-offs this year) tape it or catch the encores - tonight at 11 PM, Sunday at 5 PM.
    You can read a review of the movie here: TV Guide
    Just think, if Rangers gets good enough ratings to spawn a series (and Sci-Fi will know if it does by Monday), WB will have to take the franchise a bit more seriously. This could bode well for an early release of the DVDs.
    Regards,
    Joe

15. Frank Anderson

From The Digital Bits:
    Looks like Warner will finally make all you Babylon 5 fans happy, by releasing the complete first season of the series on DVD this fall. We're waiting for more details on this release, but we've been told Warner intends to release a lot of TV product before the year is over. And word is they're happy with sales of the single B5 disc they've released thus far.

16. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I'm sure they are happy, they got to release a disk , without a whole lot of effort, bare bones, so-so video quality, and it flew off the shelf. I really don't tink WB knows what to do with B5, they don't understand it's popularity. But if they at least release the eps,inanamorphic Widescreen, with Remastered 5.1 sound I'd be happy. I'd love commentaries etc, hell maybe they could get that sci fichannel biography of B5 that never aired, but I doubt it'll happen. And Iget a bad feeling 2.0 is all we are going to get inthe audio dept.

17. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

18. Frank Anderson

Paramount has Star Trek, WB has Babylon 5. They should learn how to milk their cash cow better.