What's new

WB, what about those classics? (1 Viewer)

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
I wanna know if those classic pictures will ever see the light of day on dvd format.

Jane Powell: "A Date with Judy", "Two weeks with love", "Nancy goes to Rio";

Greer Garson: "Random Harvest", "Pride and Prejudice", "Blossoms in the dust";

Eleanor Powell: "Born to dance", "Rosalie", "Lady be good";

MacDonald and Eddy: "Naughty Marietta", "Rose Marie", "Maytime";

Joan Crawford: "A woman's face", "The shining hour", "Mannequim";

Clark Gable: "Red Dust", "China Seas", "Manhattan Melodrama","San Francisco", "Test Pilot", "Honk Tonk";

Crawford and Gable: " Dancing lady", "Forsaking all others", "Chained", "Love on the run";

Robert Taylor: "Three Comrades", "Waterloo Bridge", "Johnny Eager";

Rooney and Garland: "Babes in arms", "Strike up the band", "Babes on Broadway", "Girl crazy";

Ginger Rogers: "Stage door", "Bachelor Mother", "Kitty Foyle";

Ann Sheridan: "Kings Row";

June Allison: "Two girls and a sailor".

All those movies are truly masterprices, we need them preserved on dvd.

Matt Stieg

Stunt Coordinator
And don't forget some of their silent classics, such as Greed, The Wind, and The Crowd, though I suppose it's very possible those will see the light of day on a future TCM Archives collection.

As Lon Chaney was the first to be released on the new TCM Archives, I nominate Buster Keaton for the next one. Throw in The Cameraman and Spite Marriage as well as just about anything Keaton that Warners has in their vaults.

Derek_McL

Second Unit
Another vote for the MGM silents : considering the number of silents available apart from the recent Chaney collection (wonderful,by the way)the MGM titles are sorely needed.

The Buster Keaton Collection is a great idea just add if possible Kevin Brownlow's great doc Buster Keaton : A Hard Act to Follow.

What about the following with the same Chaney double disc set idea :

The King Vidor Collection : The Big Parade, The Crowd and Show People with The Men Who Made the Movies doc.

The Lillian Gish Collection : The Wind, The Scarlett Letter , not sure what other Gish MGMs exist.

The Greta Garbo Collection : Flesh and the Devil, Love, A Woman of Affairs, Divine Garbo doc.

Silent Masterpieces Collection : Greed and 1925 Ben Hur.

Looks like two more Chaney sets are on the way just hope some of these sets or similar come soon too.

Jeff Swearingen

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
Just as long as Greed is the 4 hour ? restoration that ran on TCM in the past. It's a shame we will never see the full 9 hours since that footage is lost forever.

Matt Stieg

Stunt Coordinator

If they do release Greed, I would hope it would include the 2-hour version as well. The 4-hour version is interesting from an academic standpoint, but is hardly "enjoyable." 2 hours of still photographs just gets boring.

I think Derek has some great ideas for future TCM Archives releases, hopefully we'll get something along those lines.

What's more, awhile back TCM ran a shorts festival throughout one month, and they showed numerous shorts in blocks of themes (Directors in the Making, Technicolor Shorts, etc.). How about releasing these "blocks?"

Benn

Stunt Coordinator
I thought SERGEANT YORK with Gary Cooper was due out last Sept. Did I somehow miss it?

These are old enough to be classics:
James Gardner & Julie Andrews in THE AMERICANIZATION OF EMILY (1964)
Jason Robards in A THOUSAND CLOWNS (1965)
or Kirk Douglas and Burt Lancaster and Laurence Oliver in THE DEVIL'S DECIPLE (1959) or
Alan Arkin in THE HEART IS A LONELY HUNTER (1968) or
Al Pacino and Donald Sutherland in REVOLUTION (1985) and a popular version of CROSSING DELANCY (1988)

Warner Bros. please release these before I die.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I can never tell who owns what, so I won't add any of the many films I want to see that might be WB, but I will second the aforementioned Random Harvest.

FrankXS

Second Unit
This message to George Feltenstein Senior V P for Warner Classic Catalog. Keep up the fantastic work. With your recent DVD Decision promotion/the Academy Awards DVD promotion and the Judy Garland titles coming in April you are making significant strides towards fulfilling every classic movie collectors' wishes.

Some thoughts : Where are the Gable/Tracy/Stewart/Garbo/Astaire and Rogers/Davis/Cagney/Robinson/Crawford/MacDonald and Eddy/
Harlow titles of the 30's and 40's. Also Gary Cooper's Sergeant York/John Garfield's Humouresque/Mickey Rooney et al's Human Comedy/Lionel Barrymore's On Borrowed Time/ Ginger Roger's Kitty Foyle, Tom,Dick and Harry/and Stage Door.
Also the RKO titles which I assume Warner controls:John Ford's The Informer/King Kong/Magnificent Ambersons/Out of the Past.
Keep those titles coming, the work has been phenominal on nearly all of your classic titles.

FrankXS

Second Unit
Kathy, this title was available for a number of years on VHS from MGM/UA when George Feltenstein was running the show there , so he is familiar with the ttitle and the quality of the film. If anyone can get On Borrowed Time out on DVD it's GF.

Bob Engleman

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a buyer of the following WB releases:

1.Battle of the Bulge
2.Capt. Blood
3.Capt. Horatio Hornblower
4.Charge of the Light Brigade, The (Flynn)
5.Flame and the Arrow, The
6.Sea Hawk, The
7.Skin Game
8.There Was a Crooked Man
9.They Died With Their Boots On

And the below MGM:

1.Adventures of Don Juan, The
2.Beau Brummell
3.Ice Station Zebra
4.Ivanhoe (Taylor)
5.Mutiny on the Bounty (Brando)
6.Prisoner of Zenda, The (Granger)
7.Young Bess

Bob Engleman

scott_ae

Auditioning
I hear rumors of this one occasionally - but I'm still waiting.

David Lean's great 1970 film Ryan's Daughter would be an outstanding anamorphic / surround sound movie. Look around the web - many people ask for this one from WB.

Does anyone know how you make requests directly to the studios so that they can guage consumer interest?

Anyway - Ryan's Daughter is the one I want most.

FrankXS

Second Unit
Three cheers for someone else who knows more about the MGM/Warner catalog. All these titles have been available on VHS, but I'm afraid we will wait a long time for many of the titles.
For some reason most of the 30's and 40's titles have been overlooked other than Oscar winners/Bogart/Flynn and some musicals. Here's hoping George Feltenstein's statement of 200 catalog titles in 2004 will include many of your titles and more. All of the Police Academy titles may sell, but after the first one were they classics ?

larry bender

Stunt Coordinator
Still waiting for
  • WHOS LIFE IS IT ANYWAY
  • GOODBYE MR CHIPS 1969
  • PENNIES FROM HEAVEN
  • FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD
  • RICH IN LOVE
    SHOOT THE MOON

]

ChrisRose

Stunt Coordinator
I also hope to see more classic musicals on DVD...and some of the lesser known musicals as well. :)

Especially:

The Pirate (Judy Garland, Gene Kelly)
A Date With Judy (Jane Powell, Elizabeth Taylor)
It Happened In Brooklyn (Frank Sinatra, Kathryn Grayson)
It's Always Fair Weather (Gene Kelly, Cyd Charisse)
Three Little Words (Fred Astaire, Red Skelton)
Two Weeks With Love (Jane Powell, Debbie Reynolds)

Please? And thank you VERY much for the Judy Garland DVDs coming in April! I plan to buy 2 copies of each title, to have back-ups. 'Cause I'm nuts like that.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Let me add:

THE WALKING DEAD. (Karloff, 1936.)

THE TWO MRS. CARROLLS. (Bogart/Stanwyck, 1947.)

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks