WB Unrated Policy?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bjorn Thoresen, Oct 18, 2001.

1. Bjorn Thoresen

In their recent chat, those at Warner Bros. DVD department reiterated their policy against ever releasing any unrated or NC-17 films, and against licensing these titles to others so they could be made available.
    They did not state why this long-time policy exists, or if there is anything that can be done to change it.
    I was unable to participate in the chat, but this is what I want to know -- will Warner respond to any campaign to change this policy, or does it exist for some other reason, like their affection for Snapper cases?
    I would love to see some of the '70s most provocative classics -- "Performance," "The Devils," etc. -- available on DVD, and I won't see "Eyes Wide Shut" unless I can see it without the ridiculous post-production tampering. I'm disappointed that this doesn't seem like it will ever happen.
    Anyone have any ideas about how to change WB policy?

2. Jeremy

Jeremy Stunt Coordinator

Perhaps pointing out to them that they have already broken this policy?
    Warner Home Video continues to offer only one version of "True Romance" on DVD. The unrated Director's Cut.
    And, to be exact, it is only the U.S. branch that "refuses" to released unrated films. Warner Home Video in Hong Kong is the publisher of my copy of the "unedited" version of Eyes Wide Shut.
    [Edited last by Jeremy on October 18, 2001 at 05:28 PM]

3. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    they even released the LW director;s cut as unrated. they were still "R" rated..
    JACOB

4. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

5. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

As I posted a previous time this issue was brought up...
    Warner also released an "unrated" DVD of Striptease.
    Of course, they probably would point the finger at Castle Rock if asked about this one.
    = Derek =

6. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

I never saw Eyes Wide Shut in the theater, so I had no basis for comparison...but when I watched the DVD, I didn't see what all the fuss was about. So now, based on what has been said above, it seems that what all the fuss was about has been edited out of the US-released DVD, is that correct? If so, how can I get my hands on one of those "unedited" versions, and will it be playable on my machines?
    ------------------
    -Justin "JJR512" Rebbert
    [​IMG]
    Join our [email protected] Team! (Click here for more info.)
    Contact me: [email protected] | ICQ: 52675695 | Private Message

7. Wes Ray

Wes Ray Supporting Actor

"Of course, they probably would point the finger at Castle Rock if asked about this one."
    LOL [​IMG]

8. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    Justin,
    In America, "Eyes Wide Shut" was presented only in a censored version — edited to obscure some shots of the orgy scene — BOTH in theaters and on video. All other countries got an unaltered version, again, both in theaters and on video.

9. JimChan

JimChan Stunt Coordinator

I believe Warner has a policy against unrated version, which could have become NC-17, so the examples quoted above may not counted as violating their own rule.
    Unedited HK version of Eyes Wide Shut is R3.
    Jim

10. Trace Downing

Trace Downing Supporting Actor

Trace Downing
    I think there's a reason that seems to be escaping some of folks here.
    POLITICS:
    School shootings, suicides, murders, and America's moral decline is all blamed on Hollywood, by certain media watchdog groups that object to Hollywood's output.
    The Southern Baptist Convention is still boycotting Disney for a number of Miramax/ Dimension films.
    Last years Presidential campaign, Hollywood's output was used as a campaign ploy...remember Al Gore's "Hollywood, clean up your act!" Our new President agreed with him as well.
    There are a lot of groups, with a hell of a lot of influence in Washington that are rallying for Hollywood to put out "wholsome" product. Or more boycotts and bad publicity are threatened.
    I understand WB's policy. I don't agree with it. But, in this political climate, at least you can understand why such a policy exists. Why they just didn't come right out and say it during the chat, is beyond me.
    [Edited last by Trace Downing on October 19, 2001 at 11:14 AM]

11. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins

12. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Whatever, it just means I'll buy my pitiful few WB discs from Region 2, so I can get South Park done properly and EWS uncensored.
    ------------------
    "This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

13. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I sort of got the impression between the lines of the chat that they were not overly enthusiastic about that policy, but I didn't really expect them to start ragging on whoever the Executice VP or higher was who created it.
    Regards,
    ------------------
    Ken McAlinden
    Livonia, MI USA

14. Michael Moulton

Michael Moulton Stunt Coordinator

Lots of people have said that the CGI characters added to Eyes Wide Shut is not really a bother, but others have said it's extremely distracting.
    Personally, I don't have a problem with the characters being added to get the R rating, BUT my problem is that they made these changes after Kubrick's death, against his wishes that the final cut not be changed. If Kubrick had agreed to it, that would be ok-- it's his movie. But WB proves how little they respect Kubrick by changing his final movie after his death.

15. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

16. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    The problem is an aesthetic one. The intent was voyeuristic POV shots from a fascinated (okay, horny)onlooker. The cover-ups suggest he is somehow trying not to see the various goings on and alters the intent.
    Regards,
    ------------------
    Ken McAlinden
    Livonia, MI USA

17. Bjorn Thoresen

I was familiar with the "True Romance" discrepancy, but couldn't remember the specifics. As I recall, it was first released that way on laserdisc, where WB did in fact publish its titles through Image Entertainment (I assume this is how Image could put out an unrated cut of "Performance" on LD).
    So, when WB was asked, they said that because the laserdisc wasn't directly put out by them, it could be unrated.
    Then, when the same cut was released by them on DVD, they pointed to the production company and said it wanted it that way, which seems to be what people are saying happened with "Striptease."
    I'm just not sure why they have this policy, and I'd like to see them change it. Have their ever been any organized campaigns to express support for unrated and NC-17 releases, or at lease sub-licensing of these titles?
    It's such a stubborn, skewed policy (not even objections over a prestigious film like "Eyes Wide Shut" could make Warner do the right thing), that I'm coming to believe that it must be the personal campaign of someone high up in the hierarchy.
    If this is the case -- if the policy were due to personal rather than marketing concerns -- it would be rather difficult to exact a change in policy. So I hope this isn't the case.