What's new

WB to Release a Live-Action "AKIRA" (1 Viewer)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
*bangs head repeatedly against wall*

If it's not remakes of classic films, it's the bringing of classic animation to live action.

GET YOUR OWN DAMN IDEAS, HOLLYWOOD!!! ARE YOU SO DAMN DEVOID OF CREATIVITY THAT YOU MUST RAVAGE THE PAST TO MAKE A BUCK?????

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
The only way this would work at all if Warner Brothers is ready to shell out over $200 million.

This is an awful idea. God, can't Warner Brothers release an ORIGINAL movie?

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I remember reading about this about 4 years ago( live action version of Akira) and nothing has happened with it since-I think 4 years from now nothing will still be happening with it

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
One of my worst fears is that it MIGHT BE a box-office success, even if a disaster as a movie. Why? Because it opens the door to a plethora of great anime being butchered into live-action movies. Can you imagine a live Princess Mnonoke? God forbid we see Pokemon brought back from the dead!:thumbsdown:
From a business perspective, I see where Hollywood is going with this and the potential in that. As noted by others, there is very little good film-making that happens anymore, so anime may be a shaft it hasn't mined yet, and one which no-brain, spoon-fed kids will only be too happy to prompt their un-cultured parents to take them to.
Here's hoping WB spends 200M and loses their shirt. What next, an anime release of Heaven's Gate? Perhaps a one-dimensional Warren Beatty?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I thought they would make a live action DBZ before Akira. Oh wait, they did. It was a crappy Hong Kong ripoff and it was so bad it was funny.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Too late, Fox is in pre-pro on a DBZ movie

I can't imagine how badly that will suck

An Akira movie COULD be good. But will it? No

Jo_C

Second Unit
Z!!!

Actually, I've been wanting a live action "Akira" for years, and now it seems WB is giving it to us.

Let's see who'd star in it...Kirsten Dunst, Matt Damon, Hayden Christiansen, Alec Baldwin, Drew Barrymore...whew! That'd be the perfect cast for me!

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
A DBZ film should not be live action. It would come off looking stupid just like Street Fighter. Who the heck can play the likes of Goku, Gohan, Vegeta, Piccolo, and the others. I've always thought that if you were going to make a DBZ film, it should be done via CGI, similiar to the Toy Story films, except with some added realism. I think the movie would be good if done that way, and I think it would be more successfull as a CGI film.
As for an Akira remake. No reason for it.
smiley_puke2.gif

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I think Johnny Yong Bosch, the guy who did Kaneda in the new dub would be perfect on screen. He has the mug, he has the moves, and he's already proven he's competent in the part
My pick for Tetsuo, is Tatsuya Fujiwara, who played Shuya in Battle Royale (provided we could get his English up to snuff). He's got the innocence and the viscious streak that Tetsuo needs
The Colonel, Keith David. There is no one else who can do it
Haley Joel Osmont as the Blue Boy, since he seems to be good with the disturbed children angle ;)

Users who are viewing this thread