What's new

WB: "The Right Stuff" PLEASE! (1 Viewer)

Michael*K

Screenwriter
To the powers that be at Warner Brothers, PLEASE consider a proper re-release of Philip Kaufman's 1983 film The Right Stuff. This was one of the best films of the 1980's, nominated for 8 Academy Awards (winning four.) The current issue of the film on DVD is dreadful, just dreadful. With the 20th anniversary of the film next year, now is the time to give this film its rightful due with a sparkling new transfer and additional content befitting a film of its stature.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
The Right Stuff is definitely one of the best films of the 1980s. It deserves a director's commentary and a non-flipper.

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
I agree this DVD really needs to be updated.
The 20th anniversary would be a perfect time to do it.
Here are a few things I would like to see on it.
At least two commentary tracks
A. commentary with the director Phillip Kaufman, and others from the production.
B. A commentary track with the four remaining Mercury 7 astronauts,
John Glenn
Scott Carpenter
Gordon Cooper
Walter Schirra
And test pilot Chuck Yeager,
all of these guys are getting old and it may not be possible to wait much longer. Plus they are not entertainers and I would think they would love to get together and talk about it, so they should not be too expensive to get together and do a track.
I would also like to see the NASA footage of all of the launches and splashdowns.
This should also not be expensive because it should be in the public domain.
I also think an infinfilm version would be cool with this movie just like Thirteen Days. There should be a ton of material and interviews out there for these events.
Please Warner Bros. does this one right.
Kevin C. :)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I hope you gentlemen get your wish--but do you really think the current transfer is all that bad? It seems rather nice and crisp to me, with nicely saturated colors that don't look too dated for a 1983 release.

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
I agree Jack the current transfer looks fine to me.
But I would really like the commentary tracks.
Kevin C. :)

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I hope you gentlemen get your wish--but do you really think the current transfer is all that bad? It seems rather nice and crisp to me, with nicely saturated colors that don't look too dated for a 1983 release.
I don't think the current transfer is too bad, but I would prefer a non-flipper. Also, the current disc is pretty much barebones, so it would be nice to get some commentary tracks, interviews, deleted scenes, etc.

This film deserves special edition treatment.

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron
The Region 2 release is quite nice: although it is a film-only release it does appear to be anamorphic (at least it looks good on my 80cm Sanyo widescreen) and is definitely RSDL. Plus it was only £9.99 at Virgin.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Special Edition Right Stuff with everything on it. Yes please!! :) :emoji_thumbsup:
"There was a demon that lived in the air. They said whoever challenged him would die. Their controls would freeze up, their planes would buffet wildly, and they would disintegrate. The demon lived at Mach 1 on the meter, seven hundred and fifty miles an hour, where the air could no longer move out of the way. He lived behind a barrier through which they said no man could ever pass. They called it the sound barrier."

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Warner-

Please consider re-visiting this fine title as you are doing with several others this fall. A good point was made about the advancing age of the surviving astronauts. It's too great an opportunity to let it pass by. Thank you again for releasing Kaufman's gem THE WANDERERS. Please give us a non-flipper RIGHT STUFF with commentary tracks and documentary/retrospective. This film was in development for a long time with William Goldman originally as writer. It would be valuable and fascinating to find out more about the changes the film went through on its way to becoming a true classic.

Jon

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
My laserdisc copy has been holding me over on this title. I'd DEFINITELY cave in though for a disc resembling one described in this tread.

On second though, I'm now officially BEGGING for it!!!

Good call Michael!!

C

Brian E

Screenwriter
As much as I want Warner to put more effort into getting out more of their huge catalog that isn't out yet. I would buy this in a heart beat. Especially if the people mentioned did a commentary. This is one of my all time favorites.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
A NEW 1080p transfer from a pristine negative and high quality sound (preferrably DTS) this time around would be wonderful.

PLEASE.

Thanks for your consideration.

Dan

Michael*K

Screenwriter
This post is worth bumping back to the top. I'd still like to see a special edition of this film. Sure it's an anamorphic release, but flipper discs are so yesterday. This film is based on an award-winning book and stars an award-winning cast. A commentary track or two and some historical background through a documentary or two would be a good start. How about it Warner?

John Stone

Supporting Actor
Give it a new 16x9 transfer and I'd double-dip 'The Right Stuff' without question! Extras would be swell...

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Last year at Studio Day the WB rep said that it was on the schedule for 2003. It was widely reported here and also at other sites like DVDFile.

Have things changed?

I certainly hope not, I too think it is a great movie.

I would like to see a full-blown SE with loads of educational information about the Mercury space program.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I have a feeling that a SE of this title is not such a long shot.

If you make it anamorphic and a non-flipper, I'll buy one too!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks