What's new

WB/Shout....what's next? (1 Viewer)

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I'd like Shout! Factory to release at least the first season of Midnight Caller, and the third season of Knots Landing.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Neil Brock

I just got some info tonight from a reliable source that I may be getting my wish on at least one of my shows (see post #30). I can't believe that such an obscure show would actually be getting a burn on demand release but that's what I've been told. Sorry to be obtuse. I hope to have a little more in the way of details shortly. That's the great thing about this hobby, even after over 30 years. There are always going to be some surprises. But the good news is, if my source is correct and I have no reason to believe otherwise, Warner is going to be doing old series on demand and quite soon.

How about a hint? :)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack

For clarification purposes, for me to define a show as rare or obscure, it has to meet the following criteria:

Short-run (2 seasons or fewer)
No airings of the full series anywhere, post-1980
No film copies in circulation among collectors

When Ted Turner bought MGM, he ran almost every series they owned on TNT. Some he ran the whole series of (Hondo, National Velvet, Travels of Jamie McPheeters, etc.). Others he ran a majority of the episodes but not all of them (Mr. Novak, Jericho, Man Called Shenendoah, etc.). Then there were some shows that ran a couple or a very few episodes, like Cain's Hundred, The Thin Man and The Lieutenant. The only shows in that library that he didn't run at all were Asphalt Jungle, Sam Benedict, Many Happy Returns, Adam's Rib, The Eleventh Hour, Harry's Girls, The Islanders and maybe a couple of others. The good news is that he reportedly transferred the entire catalogue to tape so that when Warner goes ahead with their Burn on Demand plans and does TV, we won't get issues with the elements like we would with the other companies which haven't done anything with their lesser seen shows. That doesn't mean that the shows that are Warner shows were transferred also, just all of the former Turner shows at least.
Appreciate the info because knowing which shows have tape masters done at some point is largely becoming a determining factor as to their viability for any kind of DVD release since we have to be resigned to the fact that no studio wants to go back to the film elements even if they do have them for something obscure.

Two episodes of "The Thin Man" have made it to DVD as bonuses on the "Thin Man" movie box set and the DVD release of "Forbidden Planet".

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by vnisanian2001

Well Neil, for the sake of this argument, how about if a show had a long and healthy run, but barely, if ever, got any syndication exposure? Could that also qualify as a "rare show"?

Give me an example. It also depends when the long and healthy run occured. I really can't think of many shows that fall into that category, although there are a few. The Defenders hasn't had much exposure in the last 40 or so years so that might be one. If its an 80s show, believe me, there were many people diligently recording their favorites by then. Not to mention the crazed collectors who recorded practically everything.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by DeWilson

How about a hint? :)

Early 60s. Hour. Black and white. That's all I feel comfortable saying for now. Supposedly planned for around the middle of the year.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Well that rules out the sitcoms and "The Thin Man."

As for shows that had long runs and little syndication exposure, "The FBI" was in that category for many years until the American Life repeats in the last decade.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Well, unless you're talking about other info about another show, I guess I can rule out "The FBI" since you said earlier "B/W".

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
Now lets hope that WB puts out the series through the Archives. Plus I want the whole series Then Came Bronson and Man From Atlantis.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunhillbilly

Now lets hope that WB puts out the series through the Archives.

Actually, I hope we are talking about pressed dvds and not anything released through the WB Archive program. Unless they create a completely different price-point, I'm afraid the costs would be astronomical for any of the older, hour-long shows to be released via the Archives. Think about it. We are talking about DVD-Rs that can realistically only hold 2 episodes per disc (maybe 3, but we are losing some quality to do that), and we are talking about shows that generally ran in the upper 30's per season. Let's say we can squeeze an entire season of 77 Sunset Strip onto just 13 DVD-R discs (and that's pushing it, IMHO). Right now Warner is charging at least $10 per disc, and it's usually closer to $20. Who here is going to pay over $100 for one season of that show? Not me. Heck, since most of the WB shows are nowhere near the top of my must buy list, I don't think I'd pay half that for a season set in most cases.

Nope, I'm hoping any TV series released is going to be done via pressed DVDs. I really don't want to see these series released via the Archive program. But that's just me.

Gary "I have no idea what Neil is hinting at if it's related to the early hints about an 'obscure' show, because none of those WB shows mentioned above are obscure in any way, shape or form" O.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR

Very, very few would pay that so you won't see prices like that.

Maybe not. But then again the WB is getting away with charging $20 for an hour and a half of content as it is. Who's to say for sure what they will or will not charge. And if they do drop the price way down for TV show releases, people that buy the film Archives are going to ask why they have to pay so much per disc. I'm just not sure how any of that will work out for them, but I guess we will have to wait and see.

Gary "not sure how low you think they will go Travis, but I'd be shocked if they went as low as $50 for a 39 episode season set" O.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Well, they already have put a show out, The Eleventh Hour (not the great psychologist show from the 60s), a recent show I'm unfamiliar with. But looking it up, the show ran 18 episodes and sells for $35 on 6 discs. So, if you doubled that for a typical season of a 50s or 60s show, you would get $70 for 12 discs and 36 episodes. So, maybe that eliminates the casual collector. That still comes to about $2 an episode, which is ridiculously cheap. As for the question about paying $100 for a FULL SEASON of a show? I've paid that for individual episodes of rare shows. Still be quite a bargain in my book. Check out what 35mm transfers cost and get back to me about expensive.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jack P

Well, unless you're talking about other info about another show, I guess I can rule out "The FBI" since you said earlier "B/W".

Recent post is unrelated to the earlier post about the obscure show. The obvious, most popular shows from "classic" Warner Brothers are on their way. The obscure one is the only non-popular one I'm hearing about. And supposedly the majority of what's coming is later (70s and 80s) stuff with only a few 50s and 60s. But from what I'm hearing, once the gates swing open, it's going to be a deluge. Start saving your money.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

As for the question about paying $100 for a FULL SEASON of a show? I've paid that for individual episodes of rare shows. Still be quite a bargain in my book.
I don't think anyone here would be classified as an average consumer but you're a minority in a minority. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, just that there aren't many people that would be willing to pay that kind of money for a season set.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Well, they already have put a show out, The Eleventh Hour (not the great psychologist show from the 60s), a recent show I'm unfamiliar with. But looking it up, the show ran 18 episodes and sells for $35 on 6 discs. So, if you doubled that for a typical season of a 50s or 60s show, you would get $70 for 12 discs and 36 episodes. So, maybe that eliminates the casual collector. That still comes to about $2 an episode, which is ridiculously cheap. As for the question about paying $100 for a FULL SEASON of a show? I've paid that for individual episodes of rare shows. Still be quite a bargain in my book. Check out what 35mm transfers cost and get back to me about expensive.

Well, I'll just have to wait and see the price-point. I do agree with you guys that Warner charging $100+ for a season set seems beyond absurd, but I was simply going off what they were charging up to this point for vintage films. If they can keep the price to around $2 per episode then I imagine they'll have plenty of takers. As for what someone paid 20 or 30 years ago for a 16 or 35mm transfer, or just a vhs dupe of some show... I'm not here to debate the merits of that. Something is worth whatever a person is willing to pay for it. It's that simple.

Gary "not worried because the WB doesn't own too much stuff I'm interested in anyhow - at least not at even $70 per season set" O.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
As for me, I'd classify myself as a casual collector but I can't think of any TV series that I'd pay over $40 per season, For those with deep pockets and plenty of disposable income, go for it. I'm all for any TV series getting released for those that are able and are interested in buying any studio release.

If the WB archives start opening the vaults for their TV show sets, I guess we'll see how many units they sell and that will speak for itself.

I've only bought 6 archive movies since the archive program launched and 5 of them were that "Barker" Tarzan movie bundle at a discount price, but from reading posts on the Sd movie Bd, the archive program seems to be going well.

Will the TV/DVD archive sales be as good as the movies sales? Time will tell.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
I would prefer pressed disks myself, but I do not see Warner doing that with their older series. Maybe if they license them out to other companies.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack

Recent post is unrelated to the earlier post about the obscure show. The obvious, most popular shows from "classic" Warner Brothers are on their way. The obscure one is the only non-popular one I'm hearing about. And supposedly the majority of what's coming is later (70s and 80s) stuff with only a few 50s and 60s. But from what I'm hearing, once the gates swing open, it's going to be a deluge. Start saving your money.
Well if the "few" from the 50s and 60s included (in this particular order of importance for me), "The FBI", "The Girl From UNCLE", "Maverick" and "Tarzan" that would be enough!

Is it possible that an interrupted title like "Welcome Back Kotter" might be resumed as part of this "deluge", or would it only apply to the totally unreleased?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks