What's new

WB/Shout....what's next? (1 Viewer)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Bryan^H

If you log in to the site it brings you directly to the page.
Here are the most wanted tv shows on dvd(Series year/number of votes):

Wonder Years, The1988 6570Batman1966 5445Salute Your Shorts1991 4615Six Million Dollar Man, The1974 4061Ed2000 3841Bionic Woman, The1976 3831Hey Dude1989 3285Two Guys, a Girl, and a Pizza Place1998 3191China Beach1988 2860Homefront
Oh man, The Wonder Years and Batman. I wish.

EDIT: Whoops looks like someone already answered your question.

Lets see, out of the top 10, I have the complete Bionic Woman and 3 seasons of Six Million Dollar Man from overseas releases. Wonder Years and Ed I recorded myself off-air and don't need. Batman I have from nice quality 16mm prints that I bought 20 years ago. The last 3 never interested me. And I have no idea what Salute Your Shorts or Hey Dude are. Kids shows I imagine?

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jeff Willis

Same here. Last I remember is that Dave (TSoD) mentioned something about a problem with clearance/rights for this one. Didn't sound good that we'd see this on DVD.

Dave, is this accurate? Only thing I could imagine is because it was based on a book, there could be issues, the same as with the Max Shulman estate which is keeping Dobie Gillis from coming out.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Thanks for the info guys, I never registered on their Board before today.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I'd love to see the classic WB detective shows from circa 1957-64 (77 Sunset Strip, Surfside 6, Hawaiian Eye, Bourbon Street Beat) finally released on DVD, along with The FBI, whose absence from the DVD shelves is a mystery in that it was filmed in color from the beginning.

Some other possible candidates for a Shout! factory release from the Warner vaults:

One-season wonders like-

Then Came Bronson
The Girl From U.N.C.L.E
Hank (the Dick Kallman sitcom from '65, not the recent Kelsey Grammer disaster)
Just the Ten of Us (actually lasted 2 1/2 seasons)

By the way, I recently found out that Warner Bros. has the rights to the notorious 1970s Canadian sitcom The Trouble with Tracy- it should be interesting to see how people in the US respond to a show that was reviled in its native country......

Jo_C

Second Unit
Originally Posted by Charles Ellis

I'd love to see the classic WB detective shows from circa 1957-64 (77 Sunset Strip, Surfside 6, Hawaiian Eye, Bourbon Street Beat) finally released on DVD, along with The FBI, whose absence from the DVD shelves is a mystery in that it was filmed in color from the beginning...
I think there is one factor in the delay of The FBI. Remember, you have two entities involved in this one, QM Productions and WBTV. The Martin estate has some claim to this, but you also have to remember that CBS bought a majority of the QM library, so obviously issues would have to be cleared with CBS before we do see any home video release of FBI. We do know, however, WB still holds TV and internet rights, so go figure, guys...

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
CBS wouldn't have to clear anything on "The FBI" anymore than they'd have to clear things for "Twelve O'Clock High" which is owned by Fox, even though Martin produced it. Martin in effect did "The FBI" in an arrangement where it was a Warners produced show rather than "in association with Warner Brothers" like "Streets Of San Francisco" (or like "Fugitive" was done "in association with UA"). When it comes to DVD releases, Warners has the final call on it whether to do it or license it..

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
As I suggested before, we don't know what Warners is offering to Shout! to licence. You'd think WB would hold back titles for their own release or the archive.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I think I'd really only be interested in WB's MAVERICK, THE F.B.I. and HARRY O from Shout. Maybe 77 SUNSET STRIP, too.

Most of the classic-era TV series I still want on DVD seem to reside with Universal, CBS, MGM, Fox and some independent entities.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Plus don't forget that Warner also controls the pre-1985 MGM library. Some pretty good shows in there: Dr. Kildare, Mr. Novak, The Thin Man, Cain's Hundred, The Lieutenant, Many Happy Returns, Sam Benedict, The Eleventh Hour, The Islanders, Asphalt Jungle, Daktari. In addition, Warner also owns the Lorimar catalogue as well. But we don't know what's being offered. It could be that Shout only had all of the new (post-1980) crap to choose from and didn't get offered any of the good shows that we want.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I was actually surprised, pleasantly surprised but still surprised, that Warner chose to release Scarecrow And Mrs. King themselves and not give it to Shout! - then anything is possible. As I understand it, this deal is an extensive one so there ought to be lots to choose from, from classics to smaller titles.

Originally Posted by DeWilson

As I suggested before, we don't know what Warners is offering to Shout! to licence. You'd think WB would hold back titles for their own release or the archive.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Quote:Originally Posted by Neil Brock

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/35641886#35641886
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/35641886#35643332

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I just got some info tonight from a reliable source that I may be getting my wish on at least one of my shows (see post #30). I can't believe that such an obscure show would actually be getting a burn on demand release but that's what I've been told. Sorry to be obtuse. I hope to have a little more in the way of details shortly. That's the great thing about this hobby, even after over 30 years. There are always going to be some surprises. But the good news is, if my source is correct and I have no reason to believe otherwise, Warner is going to be doing old series on demand and quite soon.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Well, looking at your list I know you don't mean "Dr. Kildare" since that wouldn't fall under the category of "such an obscure show" compared to the other titles!

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
You know, the only thing I'm worried about now is Shout! trying to release too much too fast and burning out like BCI did. I'm incredibly optimistic given Shout! has done a fantastic job on recent releases, jut hope they don't overdo it.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
Nonsense! Shout! Factory won't go bankrupt like BCI did!

SF has a more diverse catalog that also includes music. BCI, on the other hand had their catalog mainly consist of more obscure shows like Man About The House or less popular 80's cartoons (aside from the hugely popular He Man). SF has been around longer and also has a lot more deals with major studios, something that BCI didn't have much of. More likely than not, the main reason why they folded up was because what they were releasing wasn't popular enough.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack P

Boy, don't I wish it was Dr. Kildare. I'd sure love to see that one released. I'm not real keen about the "burn on demand" model that Warner and other studios are using now, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be giddy like a school girl in love to hear positive news about Kildare coming.

Gary "knowing Neil I doubt he'd classify this series as 'obscure' - but I'd love to be wrong" O.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
For clarification purposes, for me to define a show as rare or obscure, it has to meet the following criteria:

Short-run (2 seasons or fewer)
No airings of the full series anywhere, post-1980
No film copies in circulation among collectors

When Ted Turner bought MGM, he ran almost every series they owned on TNT. Some he ran the whole series of (Hondo, National Velvet, Travels of Jamie McPheeters, etc.). Others he ran a majority of the episodes but not all of them (Mr. Novak, Jericho, Man Called Shenendoah, etc.). Then there were some shows that ran a couple or a very few episodes, like Cain's Hundred, The Thin Man and The Lieutenant. The only shows in that library that he didn't run at all were Asphalt Jungle, Sam Benedict, Many Happy Returns, Adam's Rib, The Eleventh Hour, Harry's Girls, The Islanders and maybe a couple of others. The good news is that he reportedly transferred the entire catalogue to tape so that when Warner goes ahead with their Burn on Demand plans and does TV, we won't get issues with the elements like we would with the other companies which haven't done anything with their lesser seen shows. That doesn't mean that the shows that are Warner shows were transferred also, just all of the former Turner shows at least.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
Well Neil, for the sake of this argument, how about if a show had a long and healthy run, but barely, if ever, got any syndication exposure? Could that also qualify as a "rare show"?

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
I hope Shout is able to exploit the western catalogue of Warner Bros television history.

MAVERICK, YOUNG MAVERICK, BRET MAVERICK, CHEYENNE, COLT .45, etc.

I can't believe that at some point this won't be looked at.

The cynic in me believe WB is waiting until Garner after Garner passes so they don't have to worry about him suing for profits from the sales of the DVD sets. But that is just me being cynical, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks