What's new

WB/Shout....what's next? (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm really hoping that we see more WB shows licensed to Shout.
Just a few I'll have my fingers crossed for:
-LOGAN'S RUN TV SERIES

-SHAZAM

-THUNDARR THE BARBARIAN COMPLETE SERIES

Continuations for:

-GROWNG PAINS

-CHIPS

If even one of these shows is released on dvd, I'll be more than happy.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I believe they implied in one of the WB chats that Logan's Run would be a possibility if that remake of the movie ever gets going. (I actually wouldn't mind seeing someone else's vision of L'S R, because the old movie wasn't very close to the book. It should be more of a youthful, cyberpunk thing).

Here's some more WB orphans. These only got one release from the frog:

the Drew Carey Show
the George Lopez Show
the Jamie Foxx Show
Life Goes On
Living Single
MADtv
Murphy Brown
Perfect Strangers
Wayans Bros
Welcome Back Kotter
Who's the Boss?

...and there's plenty more shows that got more than just one release, but never did see completion on dvd. I doubt very much that Shout can handle all these shows, but if everything works out just right...

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
*If* we are seeing full-blow licensing to Shout and other labels, then my preference ranking for titles would be "The FBI" followed by "Maverick" and "Chico And The Man".
For interrupted Warner titles, "Welcome Back Kotter" would rate #1 with me.

whisperintherain

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Romain
WHO'S THE BOSS? is a Sony property, not Warner. :)

Glad to see Warner giving licensing their shows a shot. I hope they find it satisfying enough to take a chance on releasing more titles that way. I would pick up more releases of LIFE GOES ON and KNOTS LANDING in a heartbeat.

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
If WB is willing to license animated stuff to Shout! as well, Huckleberry Hound is another WB orphan, Popeye is also technically an orphan (it was stalled just before the series went to color) and Quick Draw McGraw and MGM Tex Avery don't seem to be in the cards. Shout! could do right by all four.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
"There are no animated titles within the Warner Bros. deal. To be honest, this is a HUGE breakthrough, so we were thrilled to finally be able to partner up with WB on the titles announced. But no animated series." - Brian Ward of Shout! Factory

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
That's for the immediate deal that got Shout! Max Headroom and Norm. I KNEW about Brian's quote when I wrote that. What I was REFERRING to is if the initial titles do well, hopefully WB will be more receptive to licensing out more of their library to Shout!, INCLUDING animated titles. That's why I wrote "If WB is willing to license animated stuff to Shout! as well"

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
One show that I think is pretty popular that Warner never even touched is Eight is Enough. I would love to see that one get a release as it came just slightly before the taping era.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Neil Brock

One show that I think is pretty popular that Warner never even touched is Eight is Enough. I would love to see that one get a release as it came just slightly before the taping era.
Same here. Last I remember is that Dave (TSoD) mentioned something about a problem with clearance/rights for this one. Didn't sound good that we'd see this on DVD.

whisperintherain

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Romain
I think we should try and be as realistic as we can with our wish lists. Shows that are embroiled in rights issues are unfortunately very unlikely to ever be released, let alone licensed to another company.

This is why I didn't mention CHINA BEACH in my previous post on this thread. It is currently ranked as one of the top 10 most-wanted unreleased shows over at TVShowsOnDVD, but it's no mystery why the show is still unreleased despite boasting a strong cast that prominently features two actresses who currently star on two of the most popular shows worldwide (Dana Delany is on DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES and Marg Helgenberger is on C.S.I.: CRIME SCENE INVESTIGATION): music rights clearance. Popular songs from the era depicted in the show are heard all over the episodes and replacing them would be mere blasphemy as they add so much to the mood. Until this issue can be dealt with satisfyingly, this is one show we're not getting on DVD, and that is unlikely to get licensed as well.

Of course, I'm just using this one as an example, but countless others certainly remain off the release schedules for similar reasons and should not be considered as contenders for licensing just yet, IMHO.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Originally Posted by whisperintherain /forum/thread/298510/wb-shout-what-s-next#post_3665279

whisperintherain

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Romain
It's on the statistics page that you get when you log in. You have to be a registered user there, of course. If you scroll down the page, you'll see the "Most Requested Unreleased Shows" list, which consists of the ten shows with no existing release of any form with the most votes. THE WONDER YEARS is the #1 title at the moment, CHINA BEACH comes in at #9.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Regulus Wonder Years, The 1988 6570 Batman 1966 5445 Salute Your Shorts 1991 4615 Six Million Dollar Man, The 1974 4061 Ed 2000 3841 Bionic Woman, The 1976 3831 Hey Dude 1989 3285 Two Guys, a Girl, and a Pizza Place 1998 3191 China Beach 1988 2860 Homefront
Oh man, The Wonder Years and Batman. I wish.

EDIT: Whoops looks like someone already answered your question.

Mr. Papagiorgio

Stunt Coordinator
I hope eventually they get the rights and release complete series sets of The Pirates of Dark Water, Thundarr, Pac-Man, and Dragon's Lair to name a few.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Unless Warner have some release plans of their own with these, I'd love to see Shout! get Harry O (1973-76), The Yellow Rose (1983-84), The Mississippi (1983-84/might now be CBS?), and The F.B.I. Especially the David Janssen '70s crime cult classic is about high time!

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Oh nice, I had not seen this news. May I suggest from the WB library for Shout!

Eight is Enough & Spenser: for Hire & maybe continue to release CHiPs

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
SHOUT! Having content deals with several of the studios, they have way to much to pick from.

We might end up with a situation where stuff DOESN'T come out becuase there is not only so much to pick from,but if a release doesn't reach a sales point, it could keep SHOUT! from releasing additional volumes.

Now,I wonder where the next Peyton Place is You'd think whe'd here some by now, retail or SHOUT! Store exculusive.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Okay, so am I to understand that that "Most Wanted" list is somehow scientifically accurate or reflective of the actual wishes of the dvd-buying market? Because I can't believe, in my wildest of imaginings, that "Salute Your Shorts" is the 3rd most-wanted series. I have a feeling that 99% of you never heard of it. It's just a routine and silly sitcom that aired on Nickelodeon about 20 years ago. Now, "Batman" and "Wonder Years" I can understand. I've also seen dozens of threads asking for the Bionic duo; but "Salute Your Shorts?" C'mon, guys--not ah! I think somebody's been stuffing the ballot box.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley

...but "Salute Your Shorts?" C'mon, guys--not ah! I think somebody's been stuffing the ballot box.
I think it's a matter of people that voted being the right age (like myself) to have fond memories of that show. Personally, I'll stick with my fond memories because I imagine that the show is terrible.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
re: "I think somebody's been stuffing the ballot box."

I'm not saying that it's "impossible" for this to happen, but Gord has several things in place designed to prevent this from happening. In the past there have been several occasions where Gord has suspended voting on a show, found and deactivated accounts (and the votes that go with them) because he caught them creating extra accounts to "stuff the box". Just FYI.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks