WB & PS & WS & Flippers & J6P?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DavidEC, Aug 19, 2001.

1. DavidEC

DavidEC Stunt Coordinator

I just don't get it...
    Looking over my collection of DVD (275) it seems that 'WB' released a large number of 'FLIPPERS' which has 'LETTERBOX' on one side and 'P&S' on the other.
    Why is it that 'WB' just does not release their DVD's with both 'J6P' version and 'Letterbox'?
    --David

2. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Well, one reason they shouldn't do this for all releases is given in this review of their SE re-release of The Fugitive:

3. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

"Cats and Dogs" only runs about 90 minutes though, so there's no excuse for not including BOTH formats.

4. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

The term "flipper" is usually reserved for discs where you have to flip the disc in the middle of the movie. There are only a few titles like this, most of them produced in the early days of DVD, before manufacturers had perfected the process for replicating RSDL discs (the kind that pause for a layer change).
    And Jason's point about the many variables affecting what can and can't fit on a disc is well-taken.
    M.

6. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

Or why don't Warner use a DVD-14 where...
    1) Warner could've included both the widescreen and pan & scan version on the dual layer side and extras on the single layered side... or
    2) Warner could've included the widescreen version and extras on the dual layer side and the pan & scan version on the single layered side... or
    3) Warner could've included the pan & scan version and extras on the dual layer side and the widescreen version on the single layered side.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    DVD In Detail - DVD Reviewer
    My DVD Collection / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
    "I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

7. James David Walley

James David Walley Stunt Coordinator

8. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

Speaking of Warner's, I just picked up "Outland" (1981) (cheaply). Interesting film-- but the transfer is a total mess. Almost absurdly, it is letterboxed on one side, P&S on the other. The packaging says it is "enhanced for widescreen TV's, but the only anamorphic content is the trailer, reversing the usual scheme of things. It seems to wreck havoc with my WinDVD's deinterlacer--at least on the OAR side. (I don't care about the 4:3 butchering.)
    It could be worse...
    [Edited last by JeremyErwin on August 20, 2001 at 11:27 PM]